The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I picked up a VTS 250 A on eBay the other day, and relegated the MicroMatic to 'backup' status. I changed the nipple and nut on the vts250 to CGA-320 for the CO2 tank. Now, here's the question I have:
I'll set the low pressure to 5 psi, and adjust the Ideal needle valve to give me 2-3 bps.
When the solenoid shuts off, the low side pressure gauge then climbs to 15 psi and stays there... when it comes on again, the pressure will eventually come back down to 5.
Is this normal for a dual stage regulator, or is it time to have this one rebuilt?

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
So, I picked up a VTS 250 A on eBay the other day, and relegated the MicroMatic to 'backup' status. I changed the nipple and nut on the vts250 to CGA-320 for the CO2 tank. Now, here's the question I have:
I'll set the low pressure to 5 psi, and adjust the Ideal needle valve to give me 2-3 bps.
When the solenoid shuts off, the low side pressure gauge then climbs to 15 psi and stays there... when it comes on again, the pressure will eventually come back down to 5.
Is this normal for a dual stage regulator, or is it time to have this one rebuilt?
That's odd. I've never seen that before and I have 5 of the VTS253A regulators.

I have a suggestion, but it's just a guess. Increase your working pressure to 15 - 20 psi (the working pressure gauge reads 0 to 30 psi) and adjust your Ideal needle valve to the bubble count that you want. Then try it.

If that doesn't work, you may have to see if there is some "trash or something" in it somewhere.

If it is not a problem, you can consider "living with it."

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah, there's no leaks at any of the connections. I have checked that.
When the solenoid turns off, and shuts off the flow. the pressure on the low side increases... I thought this is the very reason many people go to two stage regulators... to prevent this.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's odd. I've never seen that before and I have 5 of the VTS253A regulators.

I have a suggestion, but it's just a guess. Increase your working pressure to 15 - 20 psi (the working pressure gauge reads 0 to 30 psi) and adjust your Ideal needle valve to the bubble count that you want. Then try it.

If that doesn't work, you may have to see if there is some "trash or something" in it somewhere.

If it is not a problem, you can consider "living with it."
I'll try that before I leave this morning... as far a 'living with it' goes.. I may.. it only lasts for about a minute, and the system probably could use a bit of a 'jump start'... The CO2 doesn't come on until exactly the same time as the lights anyway.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didn't have too much time to mess with it this morning, but I did try this:
adjust with solenoid open, adjust low pressure to 15 psi while aiming for about 3 bps with the needle valve. I didn't wait around to see if the pressure stayed there though. It seemes to remain steady. Then I turned the solenoid off to close it, and the pressure began to creep up. I only waited around a few seconds though, so I dont know how high it would go. When I turned the solenoid on though instead of taking a minute to come back down, it 'pops' and immediately drops back to 15 psi...
When I got this regulator the 'default' reading on the low side gauge was about 2.5
I went to the welding store here, and bought a new low pressure gauge that reads 0-30 psi, and with no pressure, it rests at 0. So the gauge is OK.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does anyone have any suggestions for online stores that sell rebuild kits? I've having trouble finding one.

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
I wasn't comfortable taking mine apart so I had Orlando (GLA) fix mine. I wouldn't know what to look for anyway.

SteveU

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
here's an e-mail from www.regulatortorchrepair.com

"Thank you for contacting us regarding repair parts for your Victor VTS250 Regulator.
The cause of your problem is the low pressure seat is failing. The seat is allowing gas to bypass in the closed position (not flowing gas), this builds pressure in the second stage of the regulator equal to the deliver pressure of the first stage.
The attached parts breakdown is for the VTS250 which show which parts are in the repair kit and has a link to order repair kit online.
With a standard rebuild we would replace the following parts:
Inlet Swivel and Nut Gauge Covers
Gauges if needed
And the 0790-0055 ($42.95) repair kit.
All parts are in stock. We accept Visa, MC and Amex. We offer Free Shipping on all order over $100.00.
One option to consider is having us totally rebuild, clean and test your VTS regulator for $72.00.
If you would like to have us repair you regulator, print and complete the attached internet work order and send it in with your regulator.
We look forward to helping you with your gas apparatus parts and service needs.
Sincerely,
Jim Billingsley"

sweet. another $43 plus shipping.

@GTR, or even better, @GLA: What will it cost me to have it done by an experienced person... In other words, you?

thanks guys,
rf

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
here's an e-mail from www.regulatortorchrepair.com

"Thank you for contacting us regarding repair parts for your Victor VTS250 Regulator.
The cause of your problem is the low pressure seat is failing. The seat is allowing gas to bypass in the closed position (not flowing gas), this builds pressure in the second stage of the regulator equal to the deliver pressure of the first stage.
The attached parts breakdown is for the VTS250 which show which parts are in the repair kit and has a link to order repair kit online.
With a standard rebuild we would replace the following parts:
Inlet Swivel and Nut Gauge Covers
Gauges if needed
And the 0790-0055 ($42.95) repair kit.
All parts are in stock. We accept Visa, MC and Amex. We offer Free Shipping on all order over $100.00.
One option to consider is having us totally rebuild, clean and test your VTS regulator for $72.00.
If you would like to have us repair you regulator, print and complete the attached internet work order and send it in with your regulator.
We look forward to helping you with your gas apparatus parts and service needs.
Sincerely,
Jim Billingsley"

sweet. another $43 plus shipping.

@GTR, or even better, @GLA: What will it cost me to have it done by an experienced person... In other words, you?

thanks guys,
rf

Thats exactly what I mentioned above :)

Its common to see this happen with these kind of used regulators that come off the line of the industrial field. Valve seats get contaminated and fail.

Thats a good price to have them fix it. Its really not that hard, you just need the right tools.

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
I'm glad that Orlando knew what it was. I had no idea. I've never ran across this problem before.
Thanks Orlando!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts