The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
So, a local Corals store was giving away some stuff for free. I get down there and he was like "Well do you want this light also? And this filter?". It was some back filter system that I didn't get when I saw it, but I saw a pump so said yes (hey free canisters, free lights, and a free pump who was going to say no?).

So, after we load up everything he was "Well the tank they go in is Acrylic and I threw it away, but it's still on the top of the dumpster if you want to dig it out." Yep, it was up top and the dumpster was fairly full so it was right up top. So, yeah of course I dug it out. lol

Turns it is a ViaAqua OceanPure basically identical to the AR830 on there website but older (wood trim is not available on the AR830). Dimension are an exact match.

The bulbs don't exactly match the AR830 either (older again) as they are 24" bulbs, not sure how they are fitting a 35" bulb in a 32 1/2" aquarium though.

So far everything has checked out, even the fixture.

I'm thinking about turning this into a planted GBR tank (along with my cube).

Thoughts on changes to make? The current filter system has a big pump (haven't looked enough to identify GPH) on one side that runs up into the back of the canopy and has an output opposite it with multiple media trays lining the area......

It currently has 3 T-8 light fixtures in it, with one bulb looking to be 30" and the rest are 24".

I don't mind retrofitting, etc... I've been considering trying to locate an AR830 Black Stand since they are the same dimensions.

Either way I like the tank so I want to repurpose it and could use help on ideas of the best routes to do this. :)

Just to note, it is not acrylic it is actual curved corner glass.

Here's what the hood looks like inside.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Here is the filter setup. It's a 600l/hr pump but that could be changed.

Hmm, guess I'm going into Truly unknown territory here. lol I was thinking I could adapt an intake and lilypipe to the filter assembly and use a canister instead by running the hoses out the back down (remaining out of site).

For lighting I figured I would start with it where it's at and then maybe retrofit with LED? But I would want something that at least offers a day/night mode.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
Two things pop to my mind! One is that you got a deal and the second is that it will be worth some effort. Not everything has to be a grand success that turns out to be a forever keeper. You may get into to it and it comes out really great or it be turn out to be a bust. Either way, you will know more when you get done than when you started and that is certainly worth something.
I have no experience with that tank so just a wild guess here but the curved glass seems more like it might be acrylic?? Might do some careful checking to learn more of what you can do without scratching it? Could be glass but seems wrong for me.
Looks like it has been saltwater so that works on things a bit more but nothing that can't be fixed. The lights may be funky if they are corroded too much. Looks like I see starters for the tubes? That kind of puts it into an older group so looking at LED retrofit may be sooner rather than later. One bulb is showing a bit of black at the end so new bulbs versus new LED may be a big question.
Sort of things that do make you learn from the deal but not a bad trip, for sure.
Free pump? I never pass on a FREE pump.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Via Aqua AR830 is listed as having rounded corner glass and the thing is at least as heavy as my 40B, if not heavier. lol

I'm actually not as worried about scratching it as I am any getting the scratches out. lol I've been researching how to sand and buff scratches out of both glass and acrylic aquariums.

My thoughts at this point are a GBR show tank. I've thought about other fish but the dimensions are kind of odd for anything larger. 32x17x19 (roughly).

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
Quote: I'm actually not as worried about scratching it as I am any getting the scratches out. lol I've been researching how to sand and buff scratches out of both glass and acrylic aquariums.

This is one that I've tried and I am now in the group who says don't bother if the scratch is deep enough to feel. I'm pretty well set on power tools and thought it might just be a simple matter of getting the right polish and taking the time. It never happened for me. I was able to make the small scratches cover a larger area so that they show more! Acrylic scratches easy but then also works easy to remove the scratches. Glass is a real different story for me.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote: I'm actually not as worried about scratching it as I am any getting the scratches out. lol I've been researching how to sand and buff scratches out of both glass and acrylic aquariums.

This is one that I've tried and I am now in the group who says don't bother if the scratch is deep enough to feel. I'm pretty well set on power tools and thought it might just be a simple matter of getting the right polish and taking the time. It never happened for me. I was able to make the small scratches cover a larger area so that they show more! Acrylic scratches easy but then also works easy to remove the scratches. Glass is a real different story for me.
I've been reading up on it and from the sounds of it you have to actually use a fairly coarse sandpaper first and then buff it out.

But the way I see it is worth the experience and the knowledge I will gain by attempting it. If it fails miserably I will still learn something. If it works beautifully I learned a lot more. LOL

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
Yes, the experience can be great. My point might be that you should not be terribly disappointed if it does not work out well. I suggest starting in a spot that will be out of sight. Even better might be to pick up a free ten gallon off a curb and try removing the scratches on it before risking it on the more valuable tank. Working space to get the tools fit into the inside of the tank are just one problem to work out. Some have suggested taking the tank to a glass shop to have it repaired but that requires taking the tank apart for the repair and then rebuilding it. I find it much more effective to just move on and add décor in front of the scratch.
Not saying it can't be done but saying that I can't do it.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, the experience can be great. My point might be that you should not be terribly disappointed if it does not work out well. I suggest starting in a spot that will be out of sight. Even better might be to pick up a free ten gallon off a curb and try removing the scratches on it before risking it on the more valuable tank. Working space to get the tools fit into the inside of the tank are just one problem to work out. Some have suggested taking the tank to a glass shop to have it repaired but that requires taking the tank apart for the repair and then rebuilding it. I find it much more effective to just move on and add décor in front of the scratch.
Not saying it can't be done but saying that I can't do it.
I could also use the Free 55 Gallon I picked up last weekend. lol

I'm just finding all the free tanks lately. That 55 gallon popped up on Craigslist under the community section and I managed to snag it, but it's scratched up as well.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
Sharp eyes and luck can find a lot of things there!! Good catch as it does put a far different outlook on "experiments" that fail if you don't have money invested. Actually I would like to hear that the scratch removal works for you so that I could change my methods?

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sharp eyes and luck can find a lot of things there!! Good catch as it does put a far different outlook on "experiments" that fail if you don't have money invested. Actually I would like to hear that the scratch removal works for you so that I could change my methods?
There is a story but that tank is gone so I won't be doing the repair on that one. When I do I will let you know.

Amazingly enough this tank is doing well with the x T8's in it. I am still going to convert it to LED w/ a ramp timer, takes time.

I've been busy starting an LFS in my garage. lol That's a whole different story.

Bump:
There is a story but that tank is gone so I won't be doing the repair on that one. When I do I will let you know.

Amazingly enough this tank is doing well with the x T8's in it. I am still going to convert it to LED w/ a ramp timer, takes time.

I've been busy starting an LFS in my garage. lol That's a whole different story.

Bump:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.