The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 29 gal is 10 days into a fishless cycle. I've never had to mess with PH before because my tap water has always been fine. I'm finding NYC water is extremely soft. I'm reading 6.8 straight from the tap. My aquarium water is softer at 6.4 (API master kit). I will have a small group of plants arrive tomorrow, and I'm wondering if at least to benefit the bacteria and plants I should try to raise the PH with baking soda.

Another question. Because I wont immediately have a fully planted tank, should I wait for my clycle to complete before starting an EI dosing schedule ? I don't know how to justify the 50% water changes. My starter plants are very easy plants -- Java ferns and Anubias.

·
Super Moderator
12,113 Posts
Are you talking about the general hardness of your water (hard/soft) or the pH (acid/basic) of your water? :confused:

If you are talking about your pH (which I suspect you are), then you can leave it where it is and do not need to raise it with baking soda. Many people aim to have pH in that range.

Rather than having a "perfect" pH for fish, it is better to just have a stable pH; swinging pH values will cause undue stress.

You can start dosing immediately when you have sufficient plant load in your aquarium. If you only have a sparsely planted aquarium, you can reduce your EI dosing.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh yes, I was talking about PH. I guess I dont have a way to test general hardness night now. I've never had such a low PH. I didn't realize people would aim for that range. Thank you for that info.

When you say I can reduce my EI dose , I take it that would still require a 50 percent water change or am I wrong ? I guess I would know my clycle is near completion when ammonia --> Nitrate is fast enough. Inside that weekly wc.

Thank you again

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.