The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 20H has been set up for 5 months now without issue but the past couple weeks when I test parameters I'm getting .25ppm ammonia readings. Still at 0 nitrites and my nitrates are high as usual (40 or so ppm, getting some frogbit to try to correct this) and GH 3 KH 6. Any idea what could be causing this? I have been tinkering with plant layout so the substrate has been disturbed a bit, but I can't imagine by eheim 2213 is short of beneficial bacteria

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Hmm, my first guess would be a faulty testkit. When did you measure ? I guess it could be possible for a measurable spike to occur after heavy substrate disturbance or overfeeding.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm, my first guess would be a faulty testkit. When did you measure ? I guess it could be possible for a measurable spike to occur after heavy substrate disturbance or overfeeding.
Measured it maybe four hours after a 50% pwc. I don't believe I'm over feeding, I try to be as lean as possible. I'll keep an eye on the levels over the next couple weeks.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I use prime, I treat the entire tank volume during my pwc, I have a python changer. Empty 50%, add 2ml prime let it sit for like 2 minutes then fill it up. I usually wait 5-10mins to start back up my filter. Yes it's with an API kit

·
Registered
70 Posts
Prime and API test give negative ammonia reading. Normally .25ppm.

Oh and don't let you filter sit for longer than 30 minutes. At that time period there begins to be insufficient oxygen levels and bacteria on filter media will begin to die off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Prime and API test give negative ammonia reading. Normally .25ppm.

Oh and don't let you filter sit for longer than 30 minutes. At that time period there begins to be insufficient oxygen levels and bacteria on filter media will begin to die off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gotcha. If I retest tonight should I consider that accurate? I usually fill up,
Smoke a cigarette and then start it back up. 10 minutes tops. Good to know though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.