The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, here's my planted tank for tiny creatures (CPD's, Habrosus Cories, Otocinclus, Blue Dream Shrimp). It is dead simple. It has a sponge filter, sand and eco complete mixed, rotala indica, dwarf sag, some rescued bucephalandra and some rescued nana petite. It has a Nicrew G2 light, which I run for 8 hours at 60%. I'm just using Easy Green from Aquarium Co-Op, Flourish Iron, and Seachem Flourish root tabs (I tried the Aquarium Co-Op tabs, but they keep floating on me and making my water cloudy). The tank is probably 2 weeks old at this point, although it had been cycling for a long time before I added any plants or creatures. Here's from 2 weeks ago when I first planted the rotala.

And then here's a pic from today (2/16/2021). You can see that my rotala is growing sideways once it finds the light. Any tips on how to prevent this? Do I even want to prevent this?

Oh, apparently some of the plants have snails on them because now they're everywhere. How do I get rid of them? :'(

·
Registered
150 Posts
Your tank looks awesome! Snails almost always hitch a ride in on plants. Honestly I think snails are very underrated. Snails help clean your tank of extra food and dead/dying plant matter. Snail populations often blow up at first but then they settle down as resources allow. They are an important part of very often limited aquarium ecosystems. If you want a truly low-tech tank fill out your ecosystem as much as possible. I'd suggest daphnia, seed shrimp, scuds, black worms, etc. Get a thriving little habitat going and the tank will take care of itself. All these creatures fill a niche and many of them will act as live food for your fish and live food is one of the best foods to promote the health and well being of your fish. Check out Tom's Bucket of Mud for an amazing example of this approach. Tom's Bucket O' Mud (semi self-sustaining...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your tank looks awesome! Snails almost always hitch a ride in on plants. Honestly I think snails are very underrated. Snails help clean your tank of extra food and dead/dying plant matter. Snail populations often blow up at first but then they settle down as resources allow. They are an important part of very often limited aquarium ecosystems. If you want a truly low-tech tank fill out your ecosystem as much as possible. I'd suggest daphnia, seed shrimp, scuds, black worms, etc. Get a thriving little habitat going and the tank will take care of itself. All these creatures fill a niche and many of them will act as live food for your fish and live food is one of the best foods to promote the health and well being of your fish. Check out Tom's Bucket of Mud for an amazing example of this approach. Tom's Bucket O' Mud (semi self-sustaining...
Thanks for the advice! As long as these snails don't eat my plants, I'll be happy, and I'll leave them for the time being. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.