The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys i have a problem in my caridina shrimp tanks for a long time.My ph drop so much and i believe its dangerous for my shrimps.My ph now is 4.5 in all tanks and i changed substrate but happened again.

My water parameters is:
Ph 4.5
Gh 5
Kh 1
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5
Temperature 23
Substrates fluval stratum and dennerle shrimp king

I dont use co2 -alder cones- leafs-woods I have some plants inside im using ro water and i remineralizing with bee shrimp gh+

I put gh/kh plus and many ph buffers but ph rising up only for 1 day after drop again to 4.5.When i do water changes the ph fall again faster and lower

I do Water changes every 15 days 10%

My ro water ph is 6.6

My shrimps surviving well and breeding im using sera ph test/tetra ph test/tropical ph test /api ph test

·
Super Moderator
16,108 Posts
Could you post a photo of your tank?

Are you using a heater? If so, remove it. I'd be more concerned about the temperature than the pH. Don't use extra pH buffers - you're just chasing parameters you'll never reach because of the substrate you're using.

As long as your shrimp are fine, there's enough gH and they're breeding well? Don't worry too much about the rest. A bunch of my Caridina tanks hover between 4.5-5.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Yeah.... I don't see the issue!

Stop using pH buffering and KH in your tank! Your only going to cause more harm to your tank than not!

I'm not sure why your pH is so low.... Fluval does not drop a tank below 6 pH. I'm not sure about the Dennerle soil though.

Agree with somewhatshocked though... if your shrimp are fine, leave it be!

I've got a tank running at 5.5 pH the last several times I've checked it. Shrimp and fish seem to be doing fine.

·
Registered
286 Posts
My guess is that you are measuring the pH wrong. pH of RO water is not really relevant because there isn't enough ionic concentration to make pH measurement meaningful, i.e. it gets pushed around too easily. What I would be interested to know is the pH of RO water plus remineralizer. If you have any kH value at all, it should be (usually) pH >7.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your help guys i dont understand why happened that.I wanted to show some photos of my shrimp tanks but i don't know how

·
Registered
54 Posts
the alder cones and certain botanicals can drop your ph.... I use oak leaves in my tank to drop it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Could you post a photo of your tank?

Are you using a heater? If so, remove it. I'd be more concerned about the temperature than the pH. Don't use extra pH buffers - you're just chasing parameters you'll never reach because of the substrate you're using.

As long as your shrimp are fine, there's enough gH and they're breeding well? Don't worry too much about the rest. A bunch of my Caridina tanks hover between 4.5-5.
Thank you very very much my friend

Plant Terrestrial plant Grass Aquatic plant Pet supply

Thank you very very much my friend
Plant Vertebrate Green Light Botany

Plant community Plant Leaf Natural landscape Terrestrial plant

Plant Vegetation Terrestrial plant Grass Aquatic plant

Plant Water Organism Paint Grass

1 - 7 of 7 Posts