The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to get a 20 gallon set up for some form of shrimp that will live in the water we got here, 7.5-8.2, and I was looking for a new way to do plants. I remembered a while ago that I had read about someone who had taken a pvc pipe, like a 4 inch diameter, drilled holes in it and placed substrate inside. Then they put it vertically in the tank and planted the plant in the holes they drilled.

So it would end up being a vertical pvc with plants growing out of it horizontal. I was interesting if this would actually work/has anyone done it.

My concerns that it could potentially make a giant dead spot for algae to grow, yet you have the plant roots in there so I dunno. Also if the plant would even grow, I was considering frill.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
To make a vertical tower out of PVC ought to work, but I would paint it flat black.
I would drill a lot of smaller holes (1/4" or so) and use a plant species (or several) that are especially noted for sending out runners. Algae will not grow without light, so won't grow inside the pipe. The plants mostly will be trying to grow upward, not so much out, so you will probably end up with a column of green. Some plants do spread wider, or bushier better than others. I think a smaller diameter would work just fine, too. Perhaps as small as 2" diameter.

I could see placing the PVC horizontally. It would be like a large pot in the tank. Better than that I think I would simply use real pots, either clay pots or mesh baskets. Then I could remove a plant that is not doing so well without disturbing the others.

Even easier is to use a piece of driftwood as the support and plant Java Fern, Anubias and moss on it. These plants will grow just fine without the large mass of soil that you would be creating with a 4" pipe. There are so many varieties of each you can select them to suit your tank size, dwarf plants for the smaller tanks on up to the largest plants.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts