The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay where to start....at the beggining of the month 3 of 6 Danios died, the other 3 tried to commit suicide! Then I found out I had 1 filter cartridge left! :eek5: Just last night my light died out! I got my filter working after it wouldnt produce a good current(its normal current), but I dont know how long thats going to last :icon_mad: !I have no money to purchase a new bulb and no money to buy a new filter. I have to pick up a test kit next month and I dont think that my mom will pick up a bulb for me!! Just thought I'd vent. Its better than hitting a wall.:angryfire

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
McDonalds. They are almost always hiring around here. Yeah it may be a "McJob" but it pays well.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Nowhere is hiring, or nowhere you would like to work is hiring? There are always jobs out there, it all depends on how bad you want one. When I was your age or so, I worked at Burger King for a while, then a shipping/receiving warehouse for a calendar company and another for a marine boat part company. I had no bills, no car payments, etc so it was just gas $$ and "play" $$. They were all found from newspaper listings, but that was back in the early 90s. Try online listings or simply go there in person. Just some humble advice.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Burks said:
McDonalds. They are almost always hiring around here. Yeah it may be a "McJob" but it pays well.
They told me come back in a week to see if they have any openings. So I should be going in Saturday to see what they have to say!

ringram said:
Nowhere is hiring, or nowhere you would like to work is hiring? There are always jobs out there, it all depends on how bad you want one. When I was your age or so, I worked at Burger King for a while, then a shipping/receiving warehouse for a calendar company and another for a marine boat part company. I had no bills, no car payments, etc so it was just gas $$ and "play" $$. They were all found from newspaper listings, but that was back in the early 90s. Try online listings or simply go there in person. Just some humble advice.
No where is hiring except possibly McDonalds...which I'm hoping things go well with it.

spypet said:
thanks to the Democrats,
you'll get paid more, and
thanks to the Republicans
you'll get taxed less, and
thanks to Schwarzenegger
you'll get health insurance.
LOL.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Tips:

I assume you have HOB filter. Instead of getting those pricey filter cartridges, head over to Fish Supplies, Online Fish Supplies, Aquarium Products, Aquarium Accessories at Big Al's Online and get:

5347 Big Al's Filter Floss-20 Sq.Ft
Store Item #1382113 SKU 5347 $ 9.99

Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Activated Carbon - 3.5 liter
Store Item #1381007 SKU 2395 $ 11.99

3883 Current USA Media Bag 3"x4" 800 Micron
Store Item #1381806 SKU 3883 $ 2.98

For $24, you can get enough filter floss and activated carbon to last you a year. You might not even need the carbon, especially for a planted tank, so $10 in filter floss will last you quite a while. If you're short on cash, rinse out the filter floss once or twice, then chuck it. Then it'll last you two years instead of one. A filter cartridge is what...$3? And lasts max. 3 months...think of ways to save money. =)

As for your bulbs, you should have those screw-in energy saver bulbs. I'm not sure if all companies do this, but the ones I got from Costco have an xxxx hour guarantee. I've actually sent bulbs in and they've replaced them for me. Makes the few bucks you spend on them worth it if it happens to burn out pre-maturely.

Are you cleaning your filter's intake tube and impeller every week or two weeks? If not, that's why it's getting clogged. Use a pipe cleaner or a test tube brush cleaner if you can get your hands on one to clean out the tube, especially at the areas where the tube bends. Then pull out the impeller and clean the gunk out of that real well. I remember one of my AquaClear HOBs lasting 3, 4 years with good maintenance.

...oh, and we all have those venting days. I've had a few threads to vent on PT myself. ;) Good luck!

·
Banned
582 Posts
Tips:
5347 Big Al's Filter Floss-20 Sq.Ft
Store Item #1382113 SKU 5347 $ 9.99
Poly-fil: used for stuffing pillows and can be found at the craft store or even at Wal-Mart (make sure it has NO mild restistant or other additives): about $2 for a huge bag.

Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Activated Carbon - 3.5 liter
Store Item #1381007 SKU 2395 $ 11.99
It's not "good" to use in a planted tank, so you don't really need it.

3883 Current USA Media Bag 3"x4" 800 Micron
Store Item #1381806 SKU 3883 $ 2.98
Or a pair of women's panty hose. You can find these also at Wal-Mart or any drug store for (usually) $1 a pair. Look for the ones that come in a plastic "egg" container.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
I always have some carbon ready to go. Especially to clear up medications or to clear tannins in the water or to clear the haze from ADA AS.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Yeah Anne. I bought one of those huge bags of pillow stuffing. It's a little soft, so I may get something a tad courser next time, but it was a pretty big bag for only $2.79 or so. It seems to work fine. I don't bother rinsing it though, since its too soft to really hold together if you move it around after its wet. No biggie though.

*edit* wow. LOL. There were 4 ninja posts during the time I wrote this.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts