The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been sick since December 26th/27th. I'm still coughing like mad.

Yesterday, the upstairs neighbor came down with a higher-than-thou attitude.

Him: "Are you the one that lives in that room under me?"
Me: "Yea."
Him: "You're the one with the cough....do you wanna go to a pharmacy?"
Me: "Dude, I'm on an antibiotic, two cough medicines, and an inhaler. Sorry, there's nothing I can do." (I'm still trying to be nice even though this guy has come down to complain many times before)
So he twists his face up, and puts his hands to his chin like he's thinking. People with medical degress have been treating me for 3 weeks. What's this fool going to do? Give me a miracle drug to make me stop coughing? Yea right.

By now, my apartment-mate is at the door to see what's up. I stand there for about 10 more seconds while this guy is pretending to think. And then I just walk away.

Grrrrrrrr. It's people like that that irriate me. The doctor at Kaiser said I had to take a week off treating patients so that 1) I can get better, 2) Not get anyone else sick. So that's why I've just been on the forums reading and stuff. =P

Another time, he came down...
"I don't know what you do for a living, but I work. It's 9:30pm. Your music is still on. Turn it off!"

9:30pm? Comon. He had the party the week before and guests were thumping on the ground until at least 11:30pm!

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Sounds like he just likes to complain. Just out of curiosity (and I realize there's nothing you can do about the coughing), are the walls thin? I've been in apartments with thin walls before and it can be tough if you're trying to sleep, study, etc....but being sick sucks, so I sympathise. I've had coughs linger on for a month before, after a few days or a week of actually being sick.
Maybe you should have reminded him about his party at 11:30 when he came to complain about your coughing or music on at 9:30. But, on the flipside, its good to at least try to tolerate neighbors even if you don't like or agree with them. This guy is probably upset for some other reason and is trying to take it out on you. Who knows...
Hope you get better.
-Ryan

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
I'm battling my upstairs neighbor to put carpet&padding down because I hear all her creaking walking around and other noise.
What's worse is my Coop house rules are supposed to get the board to compel her to carpet 80% of her apartment, but
I'm probably going to have to get a Lawyer involved if I ever want this situation finally resolved after a year of trying.
In the meantime, she wakes me up every few nights at 3am when she gets up to pee, and keeps me up whenever she
falls asleep with the TV on in the bedroom. having a noisy neighbor sucks. sorry if your neighbor seems unreasonable.

·
Registered
594 Posts
hmmm, how about getting a gag "fart machine", amplify it and point it at the ceiling?

Like you can really help being sick. At least he could do is bring you some chicken soup!

Tina

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
So I've been sick since December 26th/27th. I'm still coughing like mad.
I had that cough in mid December too. Eventually my darling wife moved into the guest room to sleep. It did go away though.

The best two things about buying a house have been A) neighbors are far, far away and B) a big concrete slab downstairs for the fishroom :)

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Ah, the joys of living on the top floor. Minus having to haul everything upstairs, and not having a slab to have the biggest tank you want. Luckily my apartment is sound insulated well, and I've only gotten 1 complaint living there over a year. Surprising given the fact of the music I listen to, and my roomies are nightowls(I'm retired).

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
What a tool, your neighboor would hate me lol. I live in a one bedroom apt and have a 60 pound 5x185w rms home theather amp, along with a 500w rms subwoofer that can play 100db+ @ 20hertz. Good thing no one lives under me (garage) and my kitchen seperates my only neighboor. All my friends still swear that my neighboors must be deaf. I've never had one complaint.

·
Algae Eater
3,182 Posts
Whats a judge going to tell her, she cant go pee in the middle of the night! Or that she isnt allowed to have her TV on? That is hardly a noisy neighbor. Try music so loud that you sit straight up in bed in the middle of the night! yeah that was a fun apartment!

I'm battling my upstairs neighbor to put carpet&padding down because I hear all her creaking walking around and other noise.
What's worse is my Coop house rules are supposed to get the board to compel her to carpet 80% of her apartment, but
I'm probably going to have to get a Lawyer involved if I ever want this situation finally resolved after a year of trying.
In the meantime, she wakes me up every few nights at 3am when she gets up to pee, and keeps me up whenever she
falls asleep with the TV on in the bedroom. having a noisy neighbor sucks. sorry if your neighbor seems unreasonable.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
The kicks of being a Kid:bounce:

Well..... not really anymore but no apartment yet..

But seriously all the problems with apartments. I'm just going to start saving a ton and try to spend as little time as possible in an apartment.

My favorite thing with being sick is I had my band director get POed at me since I hadn't played in a few weeks since I was super sick... flu then got over that and got a sinus infection:icon_neut

-Andrew

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Whats a judge going to tell her, she cant go pee in the middle of the night! Or that she isn't allowed to have her TV on? That is hardly a noisy neighbor. Try music so loud that you sit straight up in bed in the middle of the night! yeah that was a fun apartment!
Actually, I'll be suing the Coop board to enforce their own house rules as they are in breach of my Coop shareholders agreement by not compelling her to carpet&pad 80% of her apartment, since if she did so I would not hear her at all. I will seek damages for each Month they neglect to do so, and compensation for the depreciated resale value of my apartment lost due to an easily rectifiable noise condition that did not exist when I purchased the apartment (she ripped up the carpet from the previous occupant, and had her wood floors polished). It's a pretty easy case for me to make and win, I just have to decide if it's worth a few thousand dollars in legal fees. In all this time I have never complained directly to the upstairs tenant, only through the building super, Coop board and building management company. she is well aware of her breach of shareholder obligation as I have received copies of 3 notices she got this past year from the Coop board to correct the situation. The board is also required to also fine her $500 per Month she does not comply, but have unofficially chosen not to do so, probably because she is a retired widow (her son visits weekly to take care of any handiwork). I have even volunteered to help to arrange and supervise the furniture moving and carpeting contractor, but that offer did not matter. She's basically does not give a crap about how her noise inducing apartment condition effects her neighbors.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Actually, I'll be suing the Coop board to enforce their own house rules as they are in breach of my Coop shareholders agreement by not compelling her to carpet&pad 80% of her apartment, since if she did so I would not hear her at all. I will seek damages for each Month they neglect to do so, and compensation for the depreciated resale value of my apartment lost due to an easily rectifiable noise condition that did not exist when I purchased the apartment (she ripped up the carpet from the previous occupant, and had her wood floors polished). It's a pretty easy case for me to make and win, I just have to decide if it's worth a few thousand dollars in legal fees. In all this time I have never complained directly to the upstairs tenant, only through the building super, Coop board and building management company.
Then I think you should talk to your neighbor first. Go Directly to the cause instead of dancing around it with legal things. If she doesn't care... then legal action should be a choice. She might not know, or something to that extent:icon_neut

-Andrew

·
Registered
594 Posts
Actually, I'll be suing the Coop board to enforce their own house rules as they are in breach of my Coop shareholders agreement by not compelling her to carpet&pad 80% of her apartment, since if she did so I would not hear her at all. I will seek damages for each Month they neglect to do so, and compensation for the depreciated resale value of my apartment lost due to an easily rectifiable noise condition that did not exist when I purchased the apartment (she ripped up the carpet from the previous occupant, and had her wood floors polished). It's a pretty easy case for me to make and win, I just have to decide if it's worth a few thousand dollars in legal fees. In all this time I have never complained directly to the upstairs tenant, only through the building super, Coop board and building management company. she is well aware of her breach of shareholder obligation as I have received copies of 3 notices she got from the Coop board to correct the situation. They are required to also fine her $500 per Month she does not comply, but have chosen not to do so, probably because she is a retired widow (her son visits weekly to take care of any handiwork).
Could there be a reason she doesn't want carpeting, like allergies or asthma?

Tina

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Could there be a reason she doesn't want carpeting, like allergies or asthma?Tina
no, if there were mitigating circumstances like that, the Coop board would have already ruled in HER favor to allow the bare floor condition to continue, and to compensate ME for my apartment value lost.

obviously they have not, so basically everyone involved is just waiting for me to bring a Lawyer into the mix. people break rules and tort law daily until they are compelled by a court proceeding to comply.

such is life in America...

there is no point in me talking to her as I know she has had at least 3 building official premise visits and 3 written notices about it. I don't want to give her any grounds for harassment on this issue by visiting her.

if you've ever lived in a Coop you'd know all such neighbor complaints go through the board or building management as per most standand shareholder agreement.

Everyone knows there is a problem; I've even seen it outlined on my Coop board meeting minutes. they simply choose to ignore my complaints until I invest in an Attorney.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
or you could save your money on the lawyer and invest in some 2 dollar ear plugs.
I have them, and have done so. it's just uncomfortable to do regularly, and frankly, I should not have to. I'm not a sensitive sleeper; she is making an excessive amount of noise. I leave a HEPA filter on in my bedroom to white noise her activity. I even turn up the volume on my TV while I watch to drown out her noises, but why should I have to? Imagine what it sounds like when someone walks across the wood floor of a dance studio in tap shoes. That's what I hear every time this women gets up for a drink of water. To add insult to injury, she wears hard sole shoes! I have carpet, padding, and walk around barefoot all day, that's the kind of respect I have for My downstairs neighbor. It's like living with the noise of a roommate without anyone paying me rent. I know when she wakes up, goes to sleep, sweeps the floor, cooks a meal; what home owner should be subject to this kind of noise intrusion? It's very unfair, and she is being totally selfish. Next time I'll know not to buy in a 60 year old wood/plaster floored building.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I had a somewhat similar situation at work, however, I actually helped the guy instead of being stupid.

This poor shlub was coming in every day, hacking his lungs up, sneezing all over everyone, just the absolute worst you could imagine.

After the 10th day of this, I asked the guy if he has been to a doctor yet. He says of course he has, and he show's me all of the crap he has to take. I open my wallet, handed him a card for my doctor. I said, I'll bet you 100$ your sneezing and runny nose will be gone by tomorrow morning, and your cough will be gone in 3 days if you go there right now. He only charges 40$ for an office visit.

He took the bet. Thinking he's gonna make a quick 60$. Dork never did pay me my 100$!

Sorry your having such a rough go at it there epic, if you lived close to me, I would give you my doc's card. He's good!

·
Registered
381 Posts
My and my husbands first apartment us directly above the managers apartment. We had our first child while living there. The apartment complex changed managers (first was a grandmother that loved my daughter), the new manager was my age with 2 children under the age of 2...even though we had an Office at the apartments, she was a single mom, and worked out of the apartment instead of the office. By this time my daughter was 1 1/2 yrs old. Every day, the manager would come up and beat on my door to tell me to be quite because HER daughters were trying to nap! She said she could hear my daughter running up and down the hall way, and I needed to make her stop! Make a 1 1/2 yr old walk! Yeah right! Anyway, she got fired shortly after that (besides myself complaining to the owner of the apartments, other tenents complained), and again we got a grandmother as a manager! When we moved, this "grandmother" said she would miss hearing my daughter run up and down the hall!

Have a great day, and I hope you get to feeling better...sucks to be sick...I just got over a coughing cold today!...had it for a week.

·
Doesn't like Kool-Aid
10,125 Posts
Then I think you should talk to your neighbor first. Go Directly to the cause instead of dancing around it with legal things.
Very good advice, Andrew! I am not sure the title of "kid" fits you with an answer like that!

Epicfish, you are great, but to be honest if I was listening to you cough since Christmas I would have offered to either take you to the hospital or leave you a business card! :hihi:

Mike

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've only been back here for about a week. ;)

I was back home for Winter break until recently.

Oh, and I've been to the doctors three times. First time was for a healty dose of amoxicillin. Didn't work so well. Second time they switched me to Penicillin VK, and inhaler, and cough medicine with codeine. Still sick. Third time...I'm now on doxycycline with the inhaler and cough medicine still. I was prescribed a stronger cough medicine that would knock me out anytime I used it so I don't take it often.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Well I'd like to really thank you epicfish for sending me Co2 stuff and getting together a Co2 group buy at SCAPE despite your condition and problems with your neighbours. Hope you get well soon!

And sorry spypet for your problems as well.

Good thing there are no problems at my house! Sometimes there will be a party next door, but all I have to do is close the window and all sound is gone! I can't really imagine sleepless nights. That must suck spypet.

I love vents lol.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts