The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:mad: Well my tank just started looking great, fully cycled plants all doing well in high tech 10 gallon planted tank. Long story short. I did not quarantine my only fish ( serpae tetra) similar to bleeding heart ,because originally my planted tank was going to be my quarentine tank for a much bigger display. I did fully cycle a 10 gallon fishless tank on the side which is just running with no livestock. My one lone tetra has had a scratching problem that I could not figure out for months even after dosing prazi thinking I had flukes & they would just go away after using prazi. Turns out using the flashlight trick I found the VELVET right away tonight. The question is, besides never bring in fish without QT again , can I medicate the fish in a hospital tank & let the tank sit for say 30 days with NO fish & the velvet remaining will die off in the planted tank. The tank has snails & 2 shrimps doing well. Will the snails or the shrimps become hosts or carriers of the disease? Second question: What is the best medication for the hospital tank??copper Sulfate , Quinacrine hydroxide. Plus I believe it can travel to the intestines so a de wormer may be in order. This looks pretty bad, should I bust the tank down? I believe medicating the whole tank is not an option because the meds for velvet are hard on planted tanks. There is the temperature trick to speed up the life cycle & turning the lights out. Not sure how effective that option is? I put much effort into this system & it is stable & growing otherwise? Best advice, thanks.

·
Super Moderator
12,058 Posts
I am not certain for sure, but I believe that the parasite that causes Velvet must find a piscine host after detaching from the host or else it will die rather quickly.

If you remove your fish from your planted aquarium and only have shrimp/snails in the aquarium, the parasite should theoretically die off. This is assuming that invertebrates are not (immediate) hosts/carriers to the parasites.

As for treatment options, I will leave that to someone else that might be a little more versed in treatment.

As you have found out the most difficult way, quarantining new fish is something that should be done all the time to avoid disaster such as this.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Anthony, but it sounds like you are not 100% positive about the snails being able to host the velvet? I am pretty sure the shrimps are fine, but not sure about the snails. I know the snails did not carry the organism into the tank since they came after the scratching symptoms. They actually helped balance my tank out by eating most of the algae. Now they may be making things difficult if they can become hosts. Is there anybody else that can determine if the parasites can feed off the snails & carry the velvet along. The way I see it is if the snails cant help velvet then they are toast if I have NO fish in the tank for say 30 days or more. Any parasite experts out there??

1 - 4 of 4 Posts