The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
( I apologize for subjecting you to these terrible photos. I'm having technical problems recently, and I really wanted to get this journal FINALLY started. )

Tank: 90 Gallon Craigslist Special
Stand: Metal dual tank stand
Filter: Sunsun 304B Canister with Polyfill and Lava Rock
Lighting: 48" Current Satellite Plus ( with several dead diodes ) and two hidden submersible LED bars (for blue accent)
Background: White poster board
Substrate: Black Diamond blasting sand
Hardscape: Cholla wood
Shower Caddies as Riparium Planters

Plants

Regular Java Fern
Philippine Java Fern
Narrow Leaf Java Fern
Windelov Java Fern
Hygrophila Polysperma
Cryptocoryne Pontederiifolia
A few random Anubias

Emmersed Plants

Diffenbachia
Peace Lily
Aluminum Plant
Pothos
Philodendron
Anthurium

Fauna

3 pairs of Angelfish - 4 "normal", 1 marble, 1 koi ... all but one are "veil"
Too many Malaysian Trumpet Snails

I occasionally dump a cap full of Flourish Comprehensive in there after a water change, but there is no regular fert dosing regimen, and no co2 source. Recently, I've been doing ~50% weekly water changes on all my tanks, but the tank did quite well with a far less scheduled WC cycle, with mostly top offs last year.

Not sure how I feel about the white background. I have the blue lights on most of the time to give a sky effect, and I like that better. Still, the shower caddies don't blend in at all with the white, and I think the whole thing would look better with a black background, but I have two tanks with dark backgrounds, so I wanted to try something different. Perhaps the white background would look better with white sand.

The large negative space on the side was intended to be for fish watching, but they mostly spend their time by the wood. If I come across some Vals, I may try those in the background.

I don't have any lights on the emmersed plants. They'd grow a lot better if I did. I'd remove them altogether but they do break up the "big object" syndrome, so they stay. I may try to convince DW to allow me to install some can lights in the ceiling above, as they could be useful even without the aquarium.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We converted this tank to the angels about 16 months ago. The angels are Petsmart specials. We originally started with 7 quarter sized fish, hoping to get two pairs. We lost one of them, but got too lucky and wound up with three pairs. For petsmart fish, we got lucky as they are gorgeous fish with long flowing fins. I'll try to get some decent photos of them at some point.

They started laying eggs as soon as they hit maturity. We've had fry in the tank several times, but they never last more than a week. Recently, we set up a fry tank to try our hand at raising fry for the first time. After several mistakes, we wound up with three surviving fry from the first batch of eggs. They're about 5 weeks old now and just starting to show their angelfish shape.

A couple days ago, I pulled another wiggler covered leaf out of the main tank and put it in the fry tank. It looks like we're going to be too successful this time, as there are probably 60 or more little guys rolling around in there now. We're feeding using a "Tom Continuous Hatch 'N Feeder Brine Shrimp Corral" and while it seems like we could potentially get a little better hatch rate doing it the bottle style, I have to say this is super easy. I just put a scoop of eggs in, in the evening on Day 0 and Day 1. Day 3 I continue to left the remainders hatch, clean it in the evening and put in some fresh eggs salt. Constant food supply and I can even set it up so they keep hatching over a weekend.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Love your tank even without the angels which I especially love. Congrats on your spawning success. Do you know which of your angels are responsible for your latest spawn? You may be able to get a better idea of the parents' genotypes if your wiggler success yields enough fry raised to where you can determine their type. Oh, and one last question, what kind of music have you found to be best at inducing spawning? Thanks and Cheers

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Will you be splitting off your regulator to run C02 in this tank? Its a nice start. You are very lucky to have 3 pairs in one tank. I was only able to maintain one pair in my 75 gallon each of the 3 times I tried.
Not any time in the short term. I figured I need to learn how to run a co2 system well on one tank first.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The batch of veils is almost free swimming. I'll probably be moving them to the fry tank tomorrow.

I found a downside to the in-tank BBS factory - the smarter fish eat most of the BBS, as they're the ones that sit and wait for them to pop out. They're twice the size of some of the other fry already.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've been raising the batch of veils in a 2 quart jar inside the 10 gallon. Made a "pop bottle" BBS hatchery that is also in the 10 gallon to keep it heated and not require yet another light. Its really looking like a frankentank with 4 air lines running everything. I think tomorrow I'm going to set up my last tank as a grow out for the largest angels, and wean them off BBS. This will let me combine batch 3 with the smallest fry from batch 2, those that have been outcompeted by the larger fry.

Oh, and it will free up the jar for batch 4, which is being laid right now. I'll move them in about 5 days. I really have no business trying to raise all these fish, but its fun.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
There's no question it's enjoyable, but do you have any idea where you will keep the new fish? You've already been way more successful than I was. Of 8 gorgeous Blue Pinoy I was only able to keep a single pair in my 75. My old 46 gallon was only large enough to house my single Dantum angel. He / she would never accept another angel in there. I wonder how long it would take all those fey to outgrow a 20 long?

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As the fish have grown, I found a spot to slip to 10g next to the 90, and brought up a 20 high. The 2.5 has been decommissioned for the time being. 24 larger angels are in the 20, and the rest are in the 10g. The fish in the 20g no longer regularly get BBS but instead are fed "normal" foods like chopped brine shrimp, blood worms and homemade repashy.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oh hey, its only been a little over 3 years! In that time some changes have been made. I had a problem with the 75g, so I moved the co2 and additional sunsun 304b to this tank.

I sold almost all the angelfish fry, keeping two. Two of the original angelfish died, so now I'm at four again. I have a bunch of rainbowfish that are growing out to go in the 150g - when they are two small the pictus get them or they can't handle the flow. A zebra pleco, sterbai corydoras and yoyo loach have been rehomed to here. Of the rainbows, I think the madagascars are going to stay in this tank. My wife and I both really like them here. I just need to find some more of them! I've only one place and its about 45 minutes away and they don't always have them.

The tank just went through a huge cleanup, trim and slight rescape on Saturday ( sold about half the plants ) so its looking a little rough at the moment while plants readjust and fill back in. I've rescaped twice over the years, still not real happy with it - my dwar sag isn't so dwarf anymore and I think I need another stem plant for the back right. My angels keep nibbling on the hygro, which seems weird since they are fed too much anyway.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've been frustrated recently by more algae than I'm used to, and plants with holes in them. I reset my drop checker and reinstalled it as I had noticed the tank was unusually quiet. When the CO2 has built up in the reactor, there's usually a slight gurgle, and I wasn't hearing it despite my flow meter indicating 28 cc/min.

After watching the drop checker not change, I decided to investigate. Sure enough, no CO2 was coming through as I disconnected at one of the backflow preventers. I can't explain it, but swapping the end connecting to the flow meter solved the problem. I have no idea how long I've been without the CO2 actually flowing!

Committing one of those biotope sins, I've added a pair (M/F) of Madagascar Rainbowfish to this tank. Yeah, it was a bit of an impulse purchase but we've fallen in love with them and plan to add 4 more when we can find them again.

This photo is apparently 2.5 months old, he's probably an inch longer now, but I'm adding it anyway. I'll be ecstatic if I can ever get a photo with his fins flared.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Gosh, I feel like the wiring is nicely out of the way but it doesn't look like it here!

1 - 20lb CO2 Tank
2 - CONCOA/PURITY PLUS 432 SERIES SS regulator, Parker Skinner 3 watt/24 Volt/40 PSI Stainless Steel solenoid, Swagelok 316SS metering valve
3 - Dwyer 5-50 cc/min Flow Meter
4 - Sunsun 304b (x2)
5 - DIY Rex Griggs Reactor
6 - Low power lights on morning timer
7 - DIY Baby Brine Shrimp "factory"
8 - Macros. I don't currently have my autodoser hooked up. Still gunshy. Thinking about a 3 head doser like Jebao DP-4. Everything, from inexpensive to expensive, seems to have mixed reviews
9 - Plastic bins with water alarms. There is also one under the whole stand. The shorter bin is better as its easier to pull out the canister for cleaning. I will replace the tall one eventually.

The ADJ PC-100A Power Bar, which I only recently figured out how to mount. Bolted to a couple pieces of scrap lexan and the clamped it to the stand. I can't believe I never thought of using small clamps before. They're black and completely unobtrusive.

A - Left Sunsun 304b
B - 300W Eheim Heater
C - CO2 System
D - Right Sunsun 304b
E - Beamswork DA FSPEC 48"
F - Unused / Future Dosing System
G - BBS Light
H - BBS Heater

The BBS air is split from the pump powering the 10g that sits a few feet away (you can see the airline running out the left by the CO2) from this tank where I house shrimp, endlers and grow out small rainbows. Its not ideal but its getting the job done.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts