The Planted Tank Forum banner

41 - 60 of 383 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Here is a better pic of the cholla. I've started cleaning it up, but going out of town tomorrow and will not finish this week.

I'm actually going to miss the fake stump on the left I think. I liked the way the plants were filling in around it. I'm also curious how the cholla will look with the rock background, but I think cholla is just so cool. I'll have to collect a pile when we go to visit for the holidays. Hopefully more pieces like the double Y instead of the more straight pieces.

I do think cholla will be more difficult to scape with than traditional driftwoods. I guess I'm not 100% that I will make the switch to these in this tank.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Six.5 Weeks

Was on vacation last week, that's why no Thursday update, and will be again.

Inhabitants

2 Bolivian Rams (unknown sex, I think two males)
5 Bleeding Heart Tetras, 1 Glo Tetra
9 Mollies - 3 Black (2 males), 2 Dalmation (1 male), 4 Creamsicle (all females)
2 Albino, 2 Panda, 2 Trili Cories
1 Female Bristlenose Pleco
[STRIKE]2 Gold Apple Snails[/STRIKE]

(The other albinos were temp moved to another tank)

Both snails committed suicide on the powerhead. They liked to eat the dead matter off it, and eventually their bodies got pulled into the filter guard. This gave me a second reason to install a pre-filter. The first is, my female mollies are pregnant, with one showing the black triangle. So, ugly white pre-filter foam blocks have been added. Naturally there wasn't any black in town. I'll need to find a better long term solution. ( Added after photo )

Something that resembled ick appeared on my Bleeding Hearts today. I immediately moved them into the hospital tank. This is poor timing because I am headed out of town tomorrow. I am nervous about it showing up on other fish while I am out.

PLANTS

Not a whole lot to update here. Things are slowly growing. Some of the Dwarf Sag has started sending out runners.

Turns out one of the plants I thought I had lost, one stem remains and is now growing. Help with ID? I thought it was marked as ludwigia repens but I'm not sure due to its leaf shape.

I've also found some beaten up java ferns as stowaways in the wisteria which I've tied to some rocks. We'll see if they adapt.

Oh yeah, one more stowaway was some java moss. I put it on the background. Long time I'm not sure this is a wise decision, but I think it is growing. This is one of four bunches.

I have the cholla soaking in my outdoor aquaponics system at the moment. It looks great in there, so my feelings have swung back to swapping out the fake stuff for the cholla.

I'm also considering getting an additional light (maybe beamswork 48") to supplement the Sat+. I think I'm only getting around 25 par at the substrate, when I would like to have more like 40.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Figured AquaAurora might like a planter box update. :D

Other than the T Fluminensis growing up toward the light, not a lot of visible updates. Most of the growing action has been roots in the planter itself. There are new roots growing on all plants. I took two cuttings each from the friendship and aluminum plant so they are actually smaller. I figured if they didn't work out in the planter filter, at least I would have some potted instead of wasting my $$. I'm also still working on something better than 13w CFL the clamp light I've got up there now. Many projects. :D

The prayer plant in front is there temporarily to see if it does any better with the conditions here. Originally, it was in my wife's office and had almost twice as many leaves. Our house is very dry and even with misting it did not seem to be doing well so we're trying something different.

The mystery vine has new shoots!

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Well, today I decided to move all fish to quarantine. The bh tetras look like they are better now, but I've seen a few salt specs on other fish, so I would rather play it safe. Going to give the tank plenty of time without fish for any ich to die. Catching the fish out of this tank is "fun"

Bump: Oh hey, a new page and I didn't see it until I added a comment!

Thanks for the plant IDs. That will help a lot.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Took a couple of hours to catch them all, with the bristlenose being the last. I took out about 85% of the water which I think will be a good thing in the end. I'm also going to take this opportunity to clean the hoses and such on the planter box.

I also took out both of the fake driftwood pieces. I'm not planning on putting them back in this tank. Next FTS will probably look a bit odd.

Sorry to hear that.
Its all part of the hobby. I think either I am being overly cautious or I caught it very early, both of which will be worth the effort in the end.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Nine Weeks

Ich has been cured/removed and the fish have returned to the tank, minus the glo tetra. His swim bladder had been questionable for some time, and with the smaller amount of room in the QT tank he got picked on. I'm noticing more ramshorn snails in the tank. No idea where they came from but they are a brilliant red/orange translucent color, some of them with black polka dots. I donated some to a friends puffer tank, but I don't mind them here.

You should notice the fake wood has been removed. I had to pull it out to get all the fish out anyway, so I decided to leave it out for now. The cholla has been soaking in my aquaponics tank and is ready whenever I am, but I might just leave this one as plants only for now and use the cholla in the upcoming 150G.

Plants

Plants have been grouped more after removing the fake wood. The sunset hygro forest continues to be expanded. I love this stuff, not only because it grows steadily but its multiple colors as well. I was finally able to propogate the Lobelia Cardinalis. I didn't think this stuff would survive originally, but it looks pretty neat with its fat leaves. The Alt Reineckii is coming along now, too!

Planter Box

The Pilea involucrata is not doing well, so I split it into several chunks and reduced this one to a single stem. The others have been planted different ways in hopes that I can keep it going in at least some form. I had rearranged the plants and moved the vinca minor and it suffered, so I moved it back.

These photos were taken last week when I did a big cleaning.

Wandering Jew doing its thing

Pothos and Aluminum Plant growing some roots.

Notes
A really busy time for me right now. I have many more plans for this tank, but between parents visiting, elk hunting starting and the 150G build, I haven't been able to focus much. The day the 150G is ready is going to be crazy with moving fish and tanks around.

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
Sorry one of the plants is not doing well for you, hope it recovers in your varying setup tests for it. The aluminum plant will get long fine/thin roots overtime, great fry hiding place. The poths will get super long thick roots (not as many as the aluminum plant though), if it gets down into the substrate they'll spread everywhere and be a real mess to uproot.
Btw your tank looks awesome (underwater). I wouldn't be able to resit the urge to shove plants or more likely mosses in the rock crevices.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Btw your tank looks awesome (underwater). I wouldn't be able to resit the urge to shove plants or more likely mosses in the rock crevices.
Thank you, that means a lot to me. It is coming along. Sometimes I have to remind myself that this tank is 5 times the size of the average tank on here, and it takes a LOT of plants to fill in. Not so easy for a first timer with thrifting in my bones.

I have java ferns growing in a few of the crevices, as well as java moss starting to get a foothold on top. Both these came as beat up hitchhikers so I haven't really documented them. :D I wasn't sure how they would do but it looks like they are growing now. I'll try to photo them next update.

·
Registered
64 Posts
the plant with the green/pink leaves with white lines, I was told its on the Obnoxious Weeds list by the FDA or EPA and had to get rid of it. Banned for sale in US.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
the plant with the green/pink leaves with white lines, I was told its on the Obnoxious Weeds list by the FDA or EPA and had to get rid of it. Banned for sale in US.
Don't tell! :D Its my favorite plant!

Big move today. The tank is coming upstairs into the living room. I moved the 55G into the dining room last night to make space. My office will be getting the 150G that has now been water tested. Two weeks from now there will be a big change in the stocking of this tank. I would do it sooner but I am out of the house all next week.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Me too! Where did you purchase that background?
DIY'd

http://diyfishkeepers.com/forum/showthread.php?12201-75-Gallon-DIY-Background-(-Finished)

The project was really easy once I got started on it. I wish I would have spent more time on it but I was excited to see how it came out.

All supplies you need are 1.) Foam insulation board 2.) Drylok 3.) Cement tints. 4.) Time

Tools used were a knife, a dremel tool, a heat gun, a paint brush and a sponge.

Total cost if you only consider the amounts I used was under $15.

·
Registered
79 Posts
DIY'd

http://diyfishkeepers.com/forum/showthread.php?12201-75-Gallon-DIY-Background-(-Finished)

The project was really easy once I got started on it. I wish I would have spent more time on it but I was excited to see how it came out.

All supplies you need are 1.) Foam insulation board 2.) Drylok 3.) Cement tints. 4.) Time

Tools used were a knife, a dremel tool, a heat gun, a paint brush and a sponge.

Total cost if you only consider the amounts I used was under $15.
Very cool, thanks!

My 75G is already up and running, I'd hate to have to break it all down to install one of these. I am setting up my old 15G as a shrimp tank, maybe I'll do that for the 15g and see how it holds up!

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
No pic this week because I am just too busy. In-laws are here to house sit and we leave for the mountains this afternoon.

The big thing is this tank moved upstairs to the living room. It was very scary, but nobody wound up in the hospital. Since we're going out of town, no fish have been moved yet. I also installed a new track lighting fixture above the tank for the planter box. i just have temporary bulbs in at the moment as the LED bulbs I ordered have not arrived yet.

The plants are all looking good even after most of them were uprooted. They also got a nice 70% water change due to the move which I am sure many plants will appreciate. Where I trimmed the Lobelia is especially noticeable as many new leaves have grown. The dwarf sag is not taking off as I had been warned it would, but there are definitely new plants growing on runners. While it makes the right side a bit empty, once it grows in it means I won't need to remove plants very often.

One of the Mollies gave birth the night after the move. I counted a half a dozen fry huddling in the background cracks and behind the return lines. Its impossible to know how many there actually are in the tank, and we'll see if any survive. It is exciting to finally have my first fry though!

41 - 60 of 383 Posts