The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I need a bit of advise. I have bought a 20l Aqua cube which has a very small internal sponge filter about 6” long and a standard twin led lamp.
The plan is that I would like vampire crabs in a palladium style tank.
I have lots of rock that I use for iwagami set ups and tonnes of pea gravel. So I plan to halve the tank diagonally with rocks and fill behind with gravel and sand, I will have a plastic barrier behind the rock to stop all the pea gravel and sand moving leaving half the tank to have about 5” deep triangular pool.
Now i see that most vivariums use coconut fibre as a base, I guess to help keep it all moist but I have read vampire crabs don’t like it too humid??? So will gravel and sand be ok?
I plan on planting riccia or java moss over the emersed patch with some anubias on wood and maybe some grass…??

Can anyone see any flaws in this plan???
Does anyone have experience with Vampire crabs as the info on the internet is vague at best..???
Is there a tidy subtle way to heat the water?? The best I can find is a 15w 6” heater…
Could I house a few rasboras in the water or would they become food??

This is something of an experiment so any advise would be great.
Thanks all.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I haven't head of these before but now im interested.

I found some write up on them saying that they tend to be scavengers and eat mostly dead bugs, but will jump at a chance to get a live one. They'll eat live and prepared food, will eat in and out of the water. They HAVE been kept in paludariums with other species, such as fish and crayfish. It also says they are able to tolerate a wide range of temperatures, so you may not even have to heat the water. Keeping it at room temperature seems suitable.

heres the link http://www.forums.repashy.com/freshwater-invertebrates/9570-vampire-crabs.html

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.