The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering, what exactly would the effect be if I put on a cheap little plastic "valve" thing on the airline for my diy co2.

It would be this:

Basically I could either have it be completely shut, or partially shut overnight so my co2 levels don't get too crazy overnight.
I woke up to a dead fish last week which surprised me, as the tank is 58 gallons and the co2 is only going at about 1 bps.
Maybe it was the ph swing that did it.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Close the valve at night and get woken up with an exploding yeast bottle. How many bottles are you running?

I don't think it was the CO2 that killed your fish. DIY on a tank that size would be really hard to gas fish. I think...

·
Plant Clown
4,735 Posts
It wasn't the pH swing, nor was it the CO2 levels. Unless you have 6 or more 2L bottles of standard-mixture DIY CO2 going. And, even in that case, while it might have been a result of too much CO2, it definitely wasn't the result of a pH swing.

As to the original question, installing a valve will most likely cause the tubing to blow off of something.

Look for another cause of the fish death, and your concern for overnight CO2 levels is unwarranted.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am running 2 2l bottles on it. I didn't think it was the co2 but I haven't lost a fish due to an unknown cause in a year, so it was kind of strange for me. Also it was my first time having my ph below ~7.6 ever. So I am not sure.

But sounds good, I won't use the valve, no need to anyway. Thanks for the quick responses!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Exploding soda bottles are not to be messed around with. I would not recommend this even with a T outlet or whatever, because if you screw it up blowing a soda bottle is legitimately dangerous (hearing damage).

·
Registered
78 Posts
Exploding soda bottles are not to be messed around with. I would not recommend this even with a T outlet or whatever, because if you screw it up blowing a soda bottle is legitimately dangerous (hearing damage).
Why? If the valve were closed co2 would go onto the tank like normal. If it were left open, no pressure would build and co2 would be released into the room.

·
Registered
824 Posts
If you let the gas out into the room, you will lose any pressure built up in the bottle. In the morning the bottle will have to re-pressurize in order to force the gas back into the tank. Also, there is a distinct possibility of getting oxygen in the bottle if it's open to the room. I'm not completely sure about this but, you would be making your yeast swing between anaerobic and aerobic fermentation. DIY CO2 is already an inefficient system, doing this just makes it completely pointless, in my opinion.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.