The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning a mixed cichlid tank (75 gallon) and wanted Vallisneria as one of the main plants in my tank. I am wondering which type I should get. Can anyone offer a suggestion? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I would consider Jungle Vals to be comparatively good with African Cichlids compared to other Vals.

Generally with Cichlids, there's a very limited number of plants that you can use with hopes of them not getting uprooted/destroyed. That being said, if you insist on using a Val, Jungle Vals are fairly robust and can take a bit of a beating compared to some of it's cousins.

Another Val you can use, assuming you have the right setup, is Vallisneria gigantea. These Vals are a little harder to care for than the Jungle Vals. However, they have broader leaves making it a more difficult target for the Cichlids. If the Vallisneria gigantea is uprooted and destroyed in any way, it will have a harder time rebounding compared to Jungle Vals though as they are not quite as hardy and require better substrate/lighting conditions.

EDIT: Just as a side note. I probably would not even consider using Vals in a Cichlid tank. I'd stick with plants that have roots which attach to wood/rocks/etc. like Java Fern and Anubias. But if you insist on using Vals then I'd say your best bet is to go with the above.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank-you for the information. Vals are actually one of my personal favorites for an aquarium. I guess I can buy some and try, who knows I might get lucky. If it doesn't work and the cichlids destroy them, oh well at least I tried and I will have a good reason to do another tank.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.