The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is Vallisneria gigantea and Vallisneria americana two different species? I often see them/it being called "Vallisneria gigantea americana," as if it's one plant, but then I'll see them named separately, too.

Anyone know? What's the difference between them if they are two different species? I'm looking for a flat-leaved val and am not interested in the twisting kind. Do either of these twist?

Thank you.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Is Vallisneria gigantea and Vallisneria americana two different species? I often see them/it being called "Vallisneria gigantea americana," as if it's one plant, but then I'll see them named separately, too.

Anyone know? What's the difference between them if they are two different species? I'm looking for a flat-leaved val and am not interested in the twisting kind. Do either of these twist?

Thank you.
The answer to your question is: yes.

The longer answer to your question is that aquarium plants (including vallisneria) get named things based as much on marketing as anything else. People tend to call any large species of vallisneria 'gigantea' regardless of where it comes from. If its actually americana then it won't have a twist in the leaves. The leaves are crazy long (not uncommon for people to have 6 foot leaves in their tank) so in my opinion its not a great aquarium plant unless you have a really big tank.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The leaves are crazy long (not uncommon for people to have 6 foot leaves in their tank) so in my opinion its not a great aquarium plant unless you have a really big tank.
I would definitely agree! My tank is 24" tall and 36" wide (45 gallons) and the val is unruly!! I struggled to get it to grow for the longest time and eventually it just took over!! I routinely have 5-6 foot long leaves.

After moving I debated even still using it but replanted only half, and it's already taken over again. I know that you're not supposed to trim it but I had to in order to bring in some light. I love it, but unless you have the height or the length I'd definitely give it a long thought!

Reactions: NotCousteau

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for your answers.

I've had the very long, wide, flat val before and loved it. I had it in a 33 long and it would trail along the surface. I'm looking to add it to a 75 gallon tank.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts