The Planted Tank Forum banner

Vacation of doom?? (maybe?)

544 5
I have a nicely set up five gallon tank with 3 mollys and one small snail the levels in the tank are perfect and i just did a 30% water change on monday to prep for my spring break. i’m going home for 9 days and have done some research on vacation feeding “bricks” (i don’t remember what they are specifically) and i was fully confident all my fish are going to be perfectly fine, until i found out that my building is doing maintenance and the power is expected to be going on and off for two days. i have everything running the tank plugged into a power strip. should i be panicking???
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
You're most likely fine but the power outages may be an issue, so to be sure we definitely need more info on your setup.
1)What kind of filter are you running? Canister, HOB(pump in water, pump in filter), sump.

2)How are you running your light? Built in timer, Bluetooth/wifi timer, mechanical timer?

3)What kind of evap does your tank have? Is it covered, is it a non issue, will a lot of water evap? My tank loses 1/2 gallon every few days if it isn't covered, so when I'm away I throw all my scrap glass on top to slow it down.

As far as feeding goes, I have a fish mate auto feeder that can feed up to 14 days or so. The bricks can work but they can be messy, I used to use them in my very well established tank years ago without much issue. I just personally wouldn't go that route anymore since I have better options now.

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
I would say there is a 98% chance of everything being just fine. The one thing I would do is not use those feeding bricks. Healthy adult fish can easily go 2 weeks without feeding. Whereas who knows what will happen with those feeding bricks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
UPDATE
the power will be out for 18 hours i’m going to plug my heater and filter into the wall so i don’t need to worry about the power strip needing to be reset when the power comes back on.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I'd get an autofeeder. I have two Fishmate F14s. You set the feeding time, number of times, and put the exact amount of food you want to be fed at each feeding time. It also has an air hose attachment on it that will help keep the food dry, which is nice, as it hangs over the tank and the food may get humid/wet, and potentially moldy.

Also, I keep sponge filters going in my quarantine tank for exactly this reason. They run on a USB-charged pump with purportedly 24hrs of battery life. Even if they only work for 12hrs instead of 24hrs (and then the power comes on 6hrs later), that could be the difference between all of your fish dying and the fish only getting a bit cold.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.