The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." Gandalf: Lord of the Rings
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys do when you have to go on vacation for a good amount of time? Like 3-4 weeks? I don't really want anyone in my house, so what are other options? I know you can feed fish with outomatic feeders but dosing liquid ferts? I could drop it off at a friends house but that would shake up the sand and plants that are in the tank.

Sent from my KFONWI using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
What do you guys do when you have to go on vacation for a good amount of time? Like 3-4 weeks? I don't really want anyone in my house, so what are other options? I know you can feed fish with outomatic feeders but dosing liquid ferts? I could drop it off at a friends house but that would shake up the sand and plants that are in the tank.

I'd do an automatic feeder, put on a top to slow evaporation, lower light levels if possible (raise the light, use a dimmer, put bubble wrap on the light, whatever), add some root tabs if not already present, and just let it go. Many fertilizer requires weekly water changes which you are not going to be able to do soooo /shrug your plants will take a hit but they can survive a 2-3 weeks without additional ferts.

·
Registered
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." Gandalf: Lord of the Rings
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What exactly would happen? Would some plants die?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Depends. An HT with CO2, lots of light, fertilizers, etc ... is not the same as a LT without any of it.
The HT will suffer much more from abandonment.
You can do many things, if you are a handyman, for little money. Automatic CW, Timed C02 (PH controller is more expensive), metering pumps, etc ...
Depends.
If we forget everything and we are only concerned about automatically adding a minimum of fertilizer and we do not want to install peristaltic pumps, there are also dispensers similar to feeders. I have used one of the Eheim brand, for example. But if you are not going to do CW, the fertilizer dose should be minimal.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Sorry the tank is a lowtech with a hugger led, on a timer. I don't currently have any inhabitants. The fertilizer is nilocg thrive for shrimp. I am doing water changes about every week.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Sorry the tank is a lowtech with a hugger led, on a timer. I don't currently have any inhabitants. The fertilizer is nilocg thrive for shrimp. I am doing water changes about every week.

Would leave the lights as is and don’t worry about the ferts dosing since there is no possibility of water changes. Come back and then resume your daily dosing and weekly water changes schedule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.