The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My parents won't let me go to the lfs to buy another light for my 10 gallon shrimp tank. Sucks having your life ruled, but oh well. I dug through my garbage to find a Repti Glo 10.0 compact flourescent bulb. Obviously not ment for aquarium plants, but will it work? I was told my original light did not have the correct output. This light has a high UV output, is 26 watts. 120v and 60hz? I'm clueless about lights right now...it's really ment for desert reptiles.

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
I'm just laughing about your parent ruling your life, like they're the conquistadors and your a conquered Mayan.

Is they light ok? It'll be fine. It's what you got. It might not be the best for growing plants, but it's what you got.

p.s. Maybe put your tank near a window if you want more light.

·
Banned
217 Posts
man...I somewhat envy him myself...13=no mortgage...no car note...no bills period...but then again...SHEEEEY*T...I couldnt do it again...

jus take it and love it for now cuz one day youll miss it...

and I think that the bulb will just grow algae...

the UVB color spectrum is outside of the useful range of plants...so it wont help your plants grow...but there may be some freaky algae that can grow off the stuff who knows (most likely not tho)

all in all...i wouldnt waste my time...and like mentioned before...move your tank closer to a window if you cant get a new bulb

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.