The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well I still have a lot to learn.....
I have an 8 month old, 55 gallon, 260 watt planted tank that is in need of a UV sterilizer. The free floating algea has come back for the last time. so. I'm currently set on a 25 watt gamma (haven't ordered it yet), and was looking for a few opinions on the brand, wattage, etc.

I'm interested in the 25 watt because I have a 125 gallon aquarium that is currently housing bearded dragons....and after I master my 55....I would eventually like to put fish in the 125. My thinking is that if I buy a 25 watt sterilizer now, I won't have to upgrade when I switch everything over to the 125...but I'm concerned that a 25 watt might be too much for a 55, and barely enough for the 125.

I was also wondering if I could get some imput on when to use it. I came across an article that said to leave it on at night, turn it off during the day so the ferts can be absorbed for a 12 hour photo period without interferance from the uv. sounds good in theory but I was wondering if anybody else thinks thats valid.

·
Registered
52 Posts
that 25 watt should be enough for what you need. it should clear greenwater in your 55 quick and will work for the 125.

as for the exposure time, I'd leave it on all the time until your issue with greenwater has been resolved. Obviously a uv sterilizer was meant to kill off biological items. Bacterias, algaes, protozoans and such. Im not sure how the uv will affect fertz, especially dry fertz. Now im not sure about flourish excel.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a serious ich problem on my 55, put the 18w gamma on it for 4 days and the fish changed colors completly!!! I would think that the 25w would be more than enough to clear 125 gallons of water. I run it constantly when it needs to be ran. When it doesn't, i take it off, let it dry, and put it in the garage. Thats the beauty of h.o.b. The gamma is very cool! I dont think you'll be disappointed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts