The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 40B with an Eheim G90 filter and a Hydor in-line heater. I had a recent outbreak of ICH that I also spread to my 10G:frown2:
This freaked me out as I lost some plants (no fish though) during treatment. The parasite came in on some plants (didn't know it could do that). But clearly after the fact totally makes sense!
I'm debating putting another cheap filter on my tank with a UV sterilizer on it. I know I could avoid all this by quarantining my plants but know myself well enough to know that I won't do it. lol
I know my filter currently has too much flow to support the UV light as well as the problem of already having the heater on there. Sooo can I add another filter that its only purpose is to have enough slow flow for the UV?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You have a lot of options here. You can go the cheap route and bleach dip plants ;) Or if you want the preventive UV system, look into either a HOB model (you can turn on and off as needed) or a canister that has one built in. I think Sun Sun and Eheim both make canisters with UV's depending on your budget.
I was looking at the Sun Sun which is what got me thinking. But they seemed to have a crazy amount of flow too. I was afraid that my tank would look like a storm at sea with the 2 filters going. As it is I have the G90 on 1/2 power unless my intake with the sponge over it gets clogged.
What bleach/water recipe do you use? Is it really a dip or a soak?
Thanks

·
Registered
541 Posts
I have looked at all these options too and I think the best plan is to go with the HOB UV filter. That is taking it on faith that the flow of it is designed to be slow enough to kill pathogens and not just algae. I think most of the ones that come built in to a filter are just killing algae because the exposure time is too short for anything else.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have looked at all these options too and I think the best plan is to go with the HOB UV filter. That is taking it on faith that the flow of it is designed to be slow enough to kill pathogens and not just algae. I think most of the ones that come built in to a filter are just killing algae because the exposure time is too short for anything else.
I went with a canister filter to start with because I wanted a clean look to the top. I don't want a HOB on the tank. I was curious as to whether or not I could just use a splitter on my filter since I already have the in-line heater on there. I realize that it will slow the flow but my filter is overkill anyways for a 40B.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts