The Planted Tank Forum banner

UV Sterilizer

755 Views 7 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  littlefish
I have heard things about these not being the greatest invention for the planted tank? Anyone have any scoops?
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
they are good for what they are for. depending on the power and pass through speed they will kill various forms of life in your water column. anything from algae to freeswimming parasites, to microfauna, even bateria. IMO if you dont actively have something your trying to eliminate in your water column its kind of superfluous.

IME the best application of a uv is generally to help reduce algae blooms or on a treatment tank to help eliminate parasitic infestation (external like ich with a free swimming stage) or other diseases susceptable to uv treatment.
It depends what you are keeping. Fish stock in the aquarium industry often have high rates of infection from Mycobacteria. Some species cope better than others, but for example the Melanotid rainbowfish seem to suffer from ulcers and waisting quite a bit.

Diana Walstead wrote an article on how she found UV helped to control mycobacteria infection even noting improvements in fish showing visible signs of infection.

I personally do use them on my planted tanks, but particualrly because most of my fish are rainbowfish.

I think the best use of using UV is for reducing Mycobacteria in tanks not so much algae (which only requires a UV clarifier, not sterilizer).

It will not make much impact on beneficial bacteria because that is largely on your plants and in your filter media.

In regard to plants I have seen some vague rumours around iron and that UV does somthing to it to make it unavailble to plants, BUT I have not seen any significant detrimental effect. i also have not seen any conclusive evidence to say UV is detrimental in this way, as I said just questions and rumours from other hobbyists.
See less See more
I just see them as something else to plug in on a freshwater tank. Just my opinion.
If you've ever had green water or cloudy water from a bacterial explosion UV is the cheese rather than chemical treatments. Using an Aqua UV 15w Classic along wth a power head I made up a portable unit I use as needed. I hard piped three of these units into my first larger displays then realized I only need to use them sporadically when an issue appears.

Live an learn (imo) they have a valid use in tank keeping.
Thanks guys... I bought one to clear up some green water I have from an ammonia spike, I just wanted to hear your thoughts. Was wondering if I should just leave it plugged in all the time, but I'm going to disconnect it once my green water is gone. Thanks again.
Thanks guys... I bought one to clear up some green water I have from an ammonia spike, I just wanted to hear your thoughts. Was wondering if I should just leave it plugged in all the time, but I'm going to disconnect it once my green water is gone. Thanks again.
Based on the supplied flow rate (tank turn over) Running it once a month or as indicated is best and saves the bulb.
in my opinion is good to have an UV at your tank, less algae.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.