·
Registered
1,439 Posts
How?
By ordering it from the website.

Where?
Amazon

What type?
This is where people will disagree, I personally like the Coralife turbo twist brand. I have the 36watt one but you could probably use the 12 watt one.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've used the smaller Coralife 9 watt on my 50 gal tank. It will clear green water very quickly if that's all you want it for, however for bacteria and parasites I think larger will always be better.

The bulb burned out in about 6 months after using it for 12 hrs a day on a timer. Haven't used it since then. My water is now crystal clear and it was on a newer tank anyway at the time.

A fairly good read on UV sterilizers: http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/AquariumUVSterilization.html

·
Registered
435 Posts
+1 to everything aquarist says.

I cleaned my tank up in 10 days and now it is crystal clear.

How?
By ordering it from the website.

Where?
Amazon

What type?
This is where people will disagree, I personally like the Coralife turbo twist brand. I have the 36watt one but you could probably use the 12 watt one.

·
Registered
789 Posts
i have in tank one i drop it in let in run till clear pull it and store till next time.
Same here. Had green water a few month back, tried a few things and after losing weeks of viewing pleasure decided it was enough. I got the "green machine" drop in UV filter like you see at petco and petsmart. Only I hit a sale and got the larger one for the same or less than you see the small one for. It's pretty huge even in my 40 but I only ran it for a week.

·
Banned
107 Posts
I use an Odyssea 18w inline UV and they also have a 32w. Bulbs are 10$ and the unit was 36.99 at time of purchase. I'm at 6 months with the unit and the first bulb is still going strong. I purchased two spare bulbs at time of purchase.

I used teflon thread tape and hose clamps to ensure a tight seal when I installed. It never leaked, but I rather be cautious. I do this with any inline products I use eg. reactor, heater, etc. Excellent Product and price.

·
Registered
275 Posts
i also use the turbo twist, 36w. run it 24/7 and seem to have to replace the bulb every 9-ish months or so. i have it plumbed to a reactor w/ a dedicated pump to control the flow. allows me to reduce the flow thru the uv to reduce/eliminate parasites. 'knock on wood' i've never had ich in this (my main) tank. haven't been as fortunate in my other-non uv tank, fwiw.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Are you guys running full time in-line UV filters having that many problems with bacteria and algae? What drove my choice to purchase a drop in was that I had read most folks only ever needed to use UV once to beat a bacteria/algae bloom and then never had an issue after that. This has been my experience so far also, UV unit was used for a week and now sits in a pile of misc. aquarium parts/gear.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Are you guys running full time in-line UV filters having that many problems with bacteria and algae? What drove my choice to purchase a drop in was that I had read most folks only ever needed to use UV once to beat a bacteria/algae bloom and then never had an issue after that. This has been my experience so far also, UV unit was used for a week and now sits in a pile of misc. aquarium parts/gear.
not at all. i don't particularly attribute the lack of algae to the uv as i have lower lighting and a deep tank (plants are crypts, anubias and swords). my rationale for 24/7 use was more for parasites. reduction in algae a side benefit (if at all). i'm not disagreeing w/ your experience, tho. the upside, to me, is worth the bulb cost every so often. i certainly can't prove the uv makes a quantifiable difference as i tend to be diligent as to water changes, filtration, bio-lodes, etc.

·
Registered
789 Posts
That makes sense as a preventative measure, every little bit helps when you have something you've worked so hard on.

So after commenting yesterday that I only had to use mine once...I ended up putting it in last night because my water was a bit clouded after cleaning the filter and water change this weekend...go figure LOL

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I use an Odyssea 18w inline UV and they also have a 32w. Bulbs are 10$ and the unit was 36.99 at time of purchase. I'm at 6 months with the unit and the first bulb is still going strong. I purchased two spare bulbs at time of purchase.

I used teflon thread tape and hose clamps to ensure a tight seal when I installed. It never leaked, but I rather be cautious. I do this with any inline products I use eg. reactor, heater, etc. Excellent Product and price.
Thanks everyone.

Shremph, can you tell me what was you reason for buying the uv and how effective has it been.

I do not have unclear water. I was just concerned with potential parasites and possible algae blooms.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts