The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Holy green water. I have access to both to help battle some seriously nasty green water in my tank. Black outs and water changes seem to not help.

I would like to clear the problem and THEN address the nutrient issue.

I've read that both diatom filters and UV sterilizers help clear green water. Anyone with experience?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have both a Vortex Diatom filter, and two UV Sterilizers. If you're just fighting green water, get a nice UV Sterilizer. I own a TurboTwist from Coralife and a JBJ Submariner. They both do a good job, but the TurboTwist did it quicker, largely because it's a bigger unit plumbed straight to my canister filter. If you don't have a canister filter to hook it up to, or you want something that can be moved from tank to tank, the JBJ goes inside the tank and has a builtin powerhead to move the water.

Jon

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome. Thank you both for your input! I purchased a TurboTwist UV and will hook it up tonight. Apparently, our area's water tends to have phosphate explosions, so I think it will be good to have on hand for those occasions.

Since I'm new to scary UV sterilizers, does it absolutely need to be hooked to the cannister filter or can it just go straight out w/ a powerhead pump?

·
Everyone has an opinion
1,677 Posts
Holy green water. I have access to both to help battle some seriously nasty green water in my tank. Black outs and water changes seem to not help.

I would like to clear the problem and THEN address the nutrient issue.

I've read that both diatom filters and UV sterilizers help clear green water. Anyone with experience?
Make it portable, http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/diy/33922-plumbing-portable-uv-sterilizer.html . If you have access to both, use both. UV to kill, diatom to clean......DC

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very interesting link! Thanks for sharing.

I hooked up my UV last night. It's been about...15 hours and I'm seeing a significant difference. It's expensive to be an inpatient person, but worth it so far ;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Dont hate me for this but i just thought it was funny:

in·pa·tient
–noun
a patient who stays in a hospital while receiving medical care or treatment.

The above quote works with both inpatient and impatient. Like i said, just found it funny. Im in no way a spelling or grammar police.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have both. If you want to prevent it, use the UV. If you want to get rid of it quickly, use the Diatom. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts