The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can seem to find much info on a good UV sterilizer. Both my friend and I are battling a green bloom and I'm going to see if we can split the price of a UV sterilizer and trade it out. A submersible one would be easier, but the Green Killing Machine at PetSmart seems to be the only one I can find reviews on, some people like it, other say the bulbs don't last. What wattage would we need for a 40-60 gallon tank?

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I have a Green Killing Machine and I loved it....However....according to the directions you are to replace the bulb when the LED light goes out. I used it for maybe three days and put it away. I just got it out a couple weeks ago for a QT for my new 50 green neons. I pluged it it and the LED light is barliy glowing, WTH???? Does the bulb need replaced??? Who knows there no way to see it unless you take a hammer to it.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
A good submersible UV sterilizer is the JBJ Submariner - a 9 watt UV should be ample for your size tank. Easy to take apart & clean, replace bulb, etc.
They should be available somewhere in Tenn. - you near Memphis ?

·
Registered
151 Posts
When I got green water a 75% water change and blackout of 4 days fixed it for me and my plants were none the worse.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
What the difference between this and let say one of those full spectrum bulbs made for reptile? Those UVA and UVB bulbs with the dome, I mean if you put it on for a long time, would you be promoting algae?

I'm not very knowledgable in the lighting department. - BRIGHT LIGHT BULB OVER HEAD.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts