The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

just now I suspected one of my cardinal to show the sign of ich, what's the best way of treating it without harming my plants and inverts?

Should i go:

1. Traditional way, malachite green + formalin treatment. (I'd like to avoid this one if possible I don't want my sealant to turn green)
2. Raising temp to 86+ and teaspoon of salt/5 gallon; will this harm my plants? I have tons mosses, anubias, echidnodorus, etc also plenty of salt sensitive catfish like cory and ottos.
3. UV sterilizer, seemed the safest but I don't know about the efficiency/

Would really appreciate any help and input
Thanks all :)

·
Registered
689 Posts
For example, if you have a 100 gallon tank and want to control parasites, you would need a minimum 18 W UV with a maximum flow rate of 100 gph. A 25 W UV at a flow rate of 150 gph would be preferable. With UV sterilizers, bigger is better.
In google we believe

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
While all replies are helpful (most of the time) understand the term dwell rate, the time the water is exposed to the UV flowing through the sterilizer being the most important (imo) to base unit sizing on. Bigger is not always better. And I do use UV units and not just throwing the post out here.
I went with the AquaUV classic w/wiper units even though they are bulky compared to many others and more expensive as well.
Depending on the flow rate you create plumbing the unit into the tank bacteria kill can be achieved with even the smaller 8w unit.

·
Registered
689 Posts
And if your unit is large enough your dwell rate can be significantly lowered. I understand where you're going and budget will play a significant part in what is purchased but there are different directions to go with UV and different methodologies to be considered.

I guess its just a case of dwell rating vs flow. Single efficiency scrub against how often circulation brings water back through the UV unit.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
What do you consider an acceptable dwell rate for parasitic removal?
Not what I consider but a reputable manufacturer lists the data in the product details on what they sell. It's up to the customer to understand it. Many do not.
And if your unit is large enough your dwell rate can be significantly lowered. I understand where you're going and budget will play a significant part in what is purchased but there are different directions to go with UV and different methodologies to be considered.

I guess its just a case of dwell rating vs flow. Single efficiency scrub against how often circulation brings water back through the UV unit.
I don't see it as changing or different methodology as much as knowing what you are buying before spending money. A hatchery unit creating 100% kill on a single pass at high flow will also impart heat to the system being treated which also should be considered along with upfront and operational cost factors. Even the 8w units I have are 100% kill at rated flow. If the dwell isn't correct for the purchased unit no matter how many times you pass the water through it you won't kill anything.

I had acquired multiple 8w and 15w AquaUV units before I fully understood the turn over required to do the job I actually needed done.
Too large a unit installed will heat a closed loop aquarium many don't know or forget to mention that. 15w vs 8w is almost 4°F on my 75g tanks, in the summer I can't afford the added heat.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the wealth of info guys,

Unfortunately I don't have access to AquaUV where I'm at so I'll be buying the 18w one.
Abit jumping the gun but, once I get rid of ich, should I continue running it in my system for algae protection? I heard that it can kill good bacteria also?

·
Registered
689 Posts
you do what you need to do. And remeber this is all opinions and subjective banter anyway. Take away the good information you need as a baseline and find the solution that works best for your tank because regardless what everyone says they are all different.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
The only algae it kills is the diatomic algae. I would use it to get rid of the ich and turn it off/remove it. No sense in wasting electricity.

Let it run for a month to completely wipe out all of the ich.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.