The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have purchashed a uv steralizer and now have it in the tank the water is pretine at the moment i would like to know if i have to leave it on all the time or can i turn it off ive never had one of these.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
Run it as little or as much as you want - some just run it for a day or two at a time when they feel they need it - others runs theirs 24/7 (and of course replace the bulbs much more often).

I use mine on a regular basis, for weeks at a time, and find that it helps to keep my tank water crystal clear 100% of the time - this of course along with frequent wcs, strong filtration, a rigorous media cleansing routine, and the use of Purigen and filter floss, as well as the use of fine pre-filter sponges on the filter intake tubes.
Not to mention the job a UV does in ridding your tank of any floating algae in the water column and harmful pathogens.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys i have it running 24/7 for now i think i wil get the timer for that and my lites ty for all your help much appreciated

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Seems to me that the light would last less time being switched on/off so much. Regular light bulbs can fail from this. Whatever works I guess.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I recently went from running my UV sterilizers 24 hours a day to running them on a timer for about 12 hours. I also set one up as a sort of control that is 24 hours, and one that I only run for about 12 hours once a week. So far (3 weeks) I have found that all of the tanks with UV on them have equivalent water quality. I want to test this a bit further, but so far it looks like if you put it on a timer for a period each day that will allow all of the water in the tank to go through it about 5 times that would probably be enough for most uses. More data will follow as my experiment continues.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I run mine 12 hours a day when the lights are off. I found that if I ran them with the lights on it actually raises the temp in my tank a few degrees.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts