The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 75 gallon tank tank holding a 4 year old male YBS turtle and various fish. I run a Fluval FX5 for filtration but due to heavy waste from Ralphie (turtle) and large driftwood in the water, it always looks dirty even after 40% water changes. I am looking into getting a UV filter but was curious if I should get one meant for a much larger tank (much like I had to do with filter) or if one meant for 75 gallon or lower tank would be acceptable since I already have a large canister filter going. Petco is have a huge sale currently so had my eye on one of their products unless someone can suggest something better in quality and price.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't necessarily have waste on floor of tank, just saying he produces a lot of waste. Water just isn't clear, has a dingy coloration. I have a Satellite + led light over top and I guess I just want a cleaner look to he water since spent a good penny on the light.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I were you I would get another filter and fill it with filter floss and purigen. The two working together should get the tank clear.
I am planning on using purigen, was reading some great stuff about it. What size filter would u suggest me to add to my fluval fx5?

·
Registered
492 Posts
Brown tinted water can also come from the driftwood in your tank. Try taking it out and then doing a large WC and see if that improves the look of the water. If so then you can either try and boil the driftwood (tough to do if it is a big piece), learn to live with it as it will improve with time, or use something else instead of that piece of wood.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.