The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning,

I was wondering. I have been reading up on installations of UV filters on an aquarium setup. Most of them say that it should be on the return line to the Aquarium.

I have a coldwater aquarium setup and as such I should have a turnover of 6 to 10x per hour. With a 240L tank and 60L Sump I need a pump flow of 1800-3000LPH.

Unfortunately UV filters are better with a lower flow due to the time the water spends within the filter being cleansed. I looked at a Vecton V2 200 and the LPH is 680.

Obviously this is a massive difference. I would need 3 UV filters to cope with the required output?

So... I had another idea and I was wanting feedback on if it was a better idea. As I have a 60L Sump, would it be more pratical to get a 550ish LPH pump setup within the sump to draw from the sump, through the UV filter and then back into the sump?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Never thought of this. Sounds like a really good idea though, I would think so. Most of the water in the sump would probably recycle through the uv sterilizer before returning the the tank.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.