The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am running a Fluval 406 can, was thinking of adding an UV sterilizer, not for algae control, but a precaution on my 75gl discus tank.
I am looking at the Aqua Ultraviolet Advantage Series Sterilizer 2000+ hang on unit 15 watts.
The fluval output tubing is 3/4, the intake on the UV is 1/2", would need a step down.
The output on the Fluval is close to 380gl per hr., the max on the UV is 700gl/hr. I think I should be OK, for sterilization purpose?
The other option is a separate water pump and more flow control, but takes up space and produces extra heat.
Looking for recommendations?

·
Registered
479 Posts
The manufacturer recommendations are pretty much only for the bare minimum green water control. To actually kill bacteria and some parasites you generally want to have a lower flow. A good range to shoot for is 20 gallons per hour per watt of UV. So for a 15 W UV you would want to aim for no more than 300 gph. If the fluval is putting out 380 gph then the reduction of flow from the UV will probably put it below 300 gph and you should be fine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.