The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently became "blessed" with the dreaded green water in my partially planted 20 hex tank. It has the stock Aqueon LED hood, so I added a 12" LED strip with 18, 5050 6500K LEDS as I figured the stock lights wouldn't cut it for such a deep tank.

The plants are just an Anubias, a java fern and a hygro diff, basically excess plants from my 20high planted cory tank. The rest of the plants are still plastic in the hex.

I'm guessing too much and too long of a photoperiod combined with not enough nutrient uptake kicked off the little green buggars and after researching a solution, I bit the bullet and ordered a 9 watt Green Killing Machine. 4 days later the tank was crystal clear and after a week, it's still clear. I cut back on the added lighting to just a few hours during the middle of the day and the plants are still doing well. I have no other algae issues in this tank as "Hoover", the BN pleco, does a fine job of keeping things clean, although during the green water episode I noticed some green spot algae starting on the glass as well, and that stuff is tough to remove.

I do not keep the UV running 24/7 since it's too big and ugly to hide in a small tank, but it's perfect for treatment when needed. One day I'll look at upgrading to canister filtration and definitely consider in-line UV.

Chris

·
Registered
722 Posts
I had this issue a few years back after a bad experience with vacation food. You know the type you just drop in the tank and no worries about feeding. Never again.

Anyway I returned to beautiful pea-soup water. I tried everything, water changes, reduced light, no light, etc. Nothing made any progress until I installed an in-line UV unit. Bam! Clear water in no time. I think it took maybe 2 days. I ran the UV until it eventually failed and haven't had to resort to one since but I wouldn't hesitate to use again if the situation warranted.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.