The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am putting together a 60gal planted tank and am trying to find out how beneficial a UV filter would be.

Is it just for combating alge or is it good for other things?

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Combating algae, people use it for ich...etc. I just got a diatom filter for the algae and I've been fine w/o a UV sterilizer.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
I have one and I find that it doesn't do much for algae. I use it for elimination (or control) of parasites and disease, should there be any outbreaks. More of a preventative it seems.
FWIW, I have a 9w turbo twist running through an Eheim 2026 (~250gph) that has a 300w hydor and the UV hooked up to the outflow. This is on a 90g tank.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
To add to my previous post, my reason for installing one was parasite control. I had an outbreak of ich, due to not using a quarantine tank, a year ago. I lost most of my tetras to it and a lot of plants after adding salt to treat it. So I decided "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure". I went with a 25 watt for my 55 gallon which should be more than adequate for parasite control in that size tank.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Do you need one? No........Is it nice to have one? Yes!
Water quality is much better, period. As for algae control, it DOES help with that in some instances....I have never seen a bad bout of Green Water with someone that ran a UB filter *wink*
Anyway, I recommnend one if it doesn't break your bank so to speak. I run mine 24/7

1 - 9 of 9 Posts