The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought some utricularia graminifolia over a year ago, but I had a tough time getting that tank stable so it died out. . . or so I thought. For about a year I've been removing these long bits of what I thought was some kind of algae growing mostly with my mosses. I've found it in multiple tanks.

I had been beginning to guess what it was but I finally checked it out online when I found a bunch more in one of my breeding tanks. It is utricularia graminifolia--the long bits with the food-catching bladders on them.

So my question is: Does anyone know how to get it back to it's leafy/grassy form? I tried planting a bit of it but my SAE dug it up. From what I remember he always loved munching on this stuff. I still have tons of it growing in my moss but not sure how to start over again and try to grow it into lawn.

THANKS!!

·
Banned
2,214 Posts
That's not Utricularia graminifolia, it's Utricularia gibba. It's a pest bladderwart that commonly hitchhikes along with UG, it's useless to try and plant it, as it won't grow leaves like U. graminifolia.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
^ What she said. U. gibba is a pest, and very difficult to get rid of, so best of luck to you in doing so. :(

U. graminifolia doesn't have to be poked or prodded to look the way you see it in pictures. It looks like that on its own.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great, thanks. I don't think I'm worried about getting rid of it. I'll just pull it out every once in a while. It doesn't look bad and my SAE seems to like to eat it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.