The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am trying to send a package to a member. The address apparently is rejected by the usps site. I would think he knows his own address, so whats up with that?

Any suggestions or if anyone can pm me his address i would apprecuiate. He isnt answering pms tonight.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
never had a problem sending to him.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have his confirmed address and this i get an error message that the address is invalid.

i will try again tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Usually when it is rejected, it gives you the right address at USPS. Try google maps or mapquest to see if it exists.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
You would be surprised at how many people DON'T know where they live.

I've seen people put in a Change Of Address from one non-existent number to another non-existent number.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
You would be surprised at how many people DON'T know where they live.
You'd also be surprised at how many times USPS claims I don't live at my current address as well.

I've had, that I know of, 8 pieces of mail returned because USPS says I don't live where I do...riiiight. I'm just some strange guy who randomly answers the door. Address is printed 100% correct on the packages/letters.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I went through a problem with UPS and Fedex for about the first 6mos to a yr that I've lived here. 911 has my road listed as "Drive", while the sign says "Lane". When their drivers would punch in "Lane"--the address did not exist. I would get a package delivered by, say UPS, one day, and then the next day the address didn't exist for another package! (Different Driver, of course. One knew the area--the next didn't).

Tom may need to take a look at how his address is actually listed by the "Powers-that-be".......:tongue:

HTH

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I think USPS is the best in my parts......everyone else likes to deliver my packages to wherever especially when it cost thousands of $$$$

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
I've never had a problem receiving a package per se, but it seems that its a crapshoot as to whether they leave the package at my door if no one's home. I've seen USPS (or was it UPS) leave a box w/ my $400 T5 light fixture on the front doorstep, but not leave much smaller packages (plants, shrimp).

·
Registered
34 Posts
Never had a problem with USPS...though, I think it's ridiculous that they do leave packages on your front door if you're not home!

USPS is nothing compared to the facist lying Finnish Posti...I've had nothing but problems with them - received 2 packages recently which were 2 days late and Posti had the nerve to put on the tracking that I wasn't at home when they "attempted" to deliver the packages to me. I complained multiple times to finally talk to one customer support guy who understood my situation (that they BLATENTLY LIED and made me look bad to the sender) and had issued a 2nd formal letter of complaint on my behalf. I complained with the 1st package at my local post office...

What do i get from this? A formal letter of apology from the postal service which apparently will be sent within the next few days and essentially means nothing to me. All i can do is scan the letter, wipe it with me arse after i take a dump and send it back to their headquarters :)

sorry for the rant, just really ticked off

·
Registered
200 Posts
Hey- It happens. When my parents moved (to a new house) for a while we had problems with the USPS/deliveries and it took 2+ years for the addy to even show up in something such as mapquest. ha! you should see what stuff USPS tries to jam in my parents mailbox when i send items to their addy for myself. It is also fun when they leave something very valulable on the doorstep. Also, what I dont get is why they refused to deliver a package to a house with out a mailbox. Ok so here is the story, I live in an apartment in Chicago, I have a mailbox, but the USPS only gives us half our mail and "returns to sender" the rest, I dont get it. So, when we need mail it either goes 1) my parents house 2)boyfreinds parents PObox. This is the thing, when we get packages through USPS we have to send them to the PObox. Now, i understand why they would refuse to give regular letters/bills/postcaords to the door, but a big box of books or a box that says "fragile" or "live monsters"...No, we have to have a mailbox on the street for them to deliver packages that are way to big to fit in a mailbox. Do you know what all the bored suburbanite kids do to mailboxes there? They burn the wooden ones, knock down the plastic ones, they somehow manage to tear down the brick and stone mailboxes. Sometimes, when it is the day the nice mailman works he will deliver the package, but when the mean one is working, they write us hate letters. Imean they can negelect a package on my parents front porch but they cannot deliver a large package to the door at my boyfreinds parents house because they do not have a mailbox anymore because the people vandalize mailboxes so much. They address is really really big above garage. Well, everything goes to POBox now there, because there is no way we are going to spend money on another mail box that will be destroyed. Despeite a few setbacks, most encounters i have with USPS turns out pretty good. It is usually more affordable than the private mail services.
It could be worse, it could be the Italian mail....Now, that is very exciting.

·
Registered
428 Posts
If the USPS were a private company, they would have been bankrupt and out of business long, long ago. Besides the money everybody pays for postage, the USPS is funded with millions of dollars from the Feds. If UPS or FedEX can be competitive without that FED money, where do you suppose all that taxpayer subsidies to the USPS goes. Basically it boils down to mismanagement from the top to bottom. No I don't blame your local mail carrier, they too are victims of the mismanagement. I have several friends at various levels in the Postal Service and they work in some really ridiculous conditions and hostile environments. Basically the brass of the USPS knows that no matter how bad they screw up they will never go bankrupt and be out of business.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
Sorry. Wrong. No money from the Federal Government. Haven't gotten money from them in years. See http://nalc.org/postal/perform/selfsufficient.html#subsidize

And if the USPS was able to tell UPS and FedEx how to run their business, like they can with the USPS, they would be bankrupt and out of business.

Fuel prices go up and both of them raise the price. It takes the USPS 18 months to get approval to raise prices and those two companies get a say in how much we raise the prices.

USPS is not allowed to own planes. Instead we have to pay those two companies to carry mail for us on their planes. And who are the most vocal opponents to the USPS owning their own planes? UPS and FedEx.

A millions and millions of dollars would be a drop in the bucket for the USPS since we do somewhere in the neighborhood of 69 BILLION dollars a year. If the USPS were a private company it would be the 12th largest in the US.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Rex
Those figures are from your union's website so I'll take them with caution. I know. I'm a union member myself in a rather large union. I know how unions work. Do you mean to tell me that the USPS breaks exactly even year after year with no cash infusion or loans from the government? Or maybe they even turn a profit. If so, where does the "profit" go? Wait, they're set up as a non-profit entity so I guess they must break nearly even every year. That's some pretty darn good number juggling. Maybe I'll have my postmaster do my taxes for me next year.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It was my understanding they are not a part of the federal govt. Here is what wikipedia has to say.

WIKIPEDIA

I personally think the usps is worth every penny of the service they provide. I mean, dang, mail to the front door?

chaz

·
Registered
428 Posts
I personally think the usps is worth every penny of the service they provide. I mean, dang, mail to the front door?

chaz
I agree. It's still the best bargain on the planet. I also think the potential is there for them to be enourmously better. There are so many technological improvements that can be made or utilized by the USPS that their "competitors" have been using for years. If I'm paying a somewhat comparable price for UPS Ground vs Priority mail, why can't I track every movement of my Priority mail like I can a UPS package? UPS can tell me exactly what time my box was put on their truck and what time that truck left the warehouse. The technology is there. They need to get it and use it, but like I said earlier when you are guaranteed to never go out of business or worry about going bankrupt, there is no initiative for them to improve on the little things to increase customer satisfaction.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts