The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've sold some plants here and on other forums over the past two weeks and have been receiving feedback from buyers when the packages arrived.

In the past, packages sent from CT all the way over to CA typically arrived in two days. Now I've been PM'ing with buyers who are saying it has taken three days in most cases, and one person in WI who didn't receive their package yet (as of Thursday 22nd) which was sent out on Monday (19th). It even took three days to ship from CT to MA in one case.

I know USPS is struggling and might not even exist in the near future, but it's too bad we are paying for "priority" service which has faltered as of late. It's also too bad cuz some delicate plants could struggle if in transit for longer than anticipated.

This isn't so much a complaint, but just a heads up to sellers who ship USPS priority (which is pretty much all of us). Things might not arrive as quickly as they did in the past.

Any others with similar experiences?

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
I have also been having on average one express package a week arrive late. This is very unusual.

This seems to happen from time to time, its one of the reasons why I strongly encourage express for fish.

The fine print of priority says it can take up to 12 days. I routinely have things take 3-4 days priority (year round) as I live in a quite rural area.

·
Banned
2,214 Posts
I've had two packages outright lost, out of maybe 15 or so. Usually I can send 20+ without a hitch.

·
Registered
803 Posts
The only service the USPS has that has any kind of guarantee on it is Express mail, and even then, if it arrives later than they say, they will give you a hard time with giving your money back.

If you want something that's guaranteed, use UPS or FedEx. Both have identical services with the same guarantees and have the customer service to back them up.

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
My issue wtih fed-ex is the lack of temperature control in the trucks.

With UPS, next day service can be as much as 3x that of USPS express to non-neighboring zones.

I have never ever had issue getting shipping refunds from USPS, you just need your original shipping slip. Insurance is a totally different matter.

·
Premium Member
2,175 Posts
I have also been having on average one express package a week arrive late. This is very unusual.

This seems to happen from time to time, its one of the reasons why I strongly encourage express for fish.

The fine print of priority says it can take up to 12 days. I routinely have things take 3-4 days priority (year round) as I live in a quite rural area.
I have been lucky. I haven't had this issue.

Your package shipped next day to me!:proud:

·
Registered
582 Posts
I've noticed similar, it seems like everything that should take 2 days is now taking 3. One of the weirder things is when the package arrives at the local sorting facility - once it gets there, it used to go out to the recipient within hours, but now I've got packages just sitting there at the facility for 24+ hours.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I live in jersey city, just across the river from NYC. However, recently a plant package from new York city took three calendar days to arrive. By driving it takes only half an hour!

·
ShrimpRetirement
8,313 Posts
I've been shipping out lots of plant packages this Summer and I can only recall 2 that USPS dropped the ball on. 99% of the time if I ship the packages anywhere outside of a 200 mile radius it will take no longer than 3 days. That means if I ship the pacakge Monday, it will get to the destination Wednesday. The areas within the 200 mile radius almost always get there overnight.

I've also been shipping all my packages using the 7x7x6" Priority boxes or even the larger 12x12x5.5" boxes, lined with 3/4" styrofoam. I've had no complaints other than the 2 that were severely delayed due to misrouting on USPS's part.

I also noticed that some PO locations provide below par service compared to some of the more busier locations. Whatever you do, DO NOT drop your packages inside those self drop boxes in the lobby areas. The lazy post workers sometimes don't collect at all or they collect well before the specified time and you're package WILL end up being a day late. Always give it to someone at the counter.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
I just shipped a package to Hawaii and it got there in three days. I thought that was spot on. Surprised so many issues.

This may be a good time to remind everyone about packaging plants properly and insulating packages well.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
It's still faster than UPS ground to most places. CA to the east coast is either 4 or 5 working days and having it span the weekend almost never changes that. At least with USPS it keeps moving. I'm not shipping stuff that matters other than the buyer is in a hurry to hold it.

Plus side is I just got another 8% discount from Paypal on USPS shipping for spending at least 5k a year through Paypal. That and a free cup of coffee at Starbucks. lol

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I use USPS because it is connected to Paypal. If it was easier to use say UPS or similar on the site I might see about making a change. However I am happy with USPS right now. I ship on Saturdays and packages going to NY normally get there on Monday.

·
Banned
5,942 Posts
I use USPS because it is connected to Paypal. If it was easier to use say UPS or similar on the site I might see about making a change. However I am happy with USPS right now. I ship on Saturdays and packages going to NY normally get there on Monday.
+1

Ease of use with paypal is big as well as the free boxes delivered to the door. I haven't had or heard of any delays out of NY either.

·
ShrimpRetirement
8,313 Posts
+2

Definitely THE main perk here IMO. I like how Paypal makes it a one stop shop. Print packaging slips with ease that links the tracking# straight to the specific order. That's why I prefer if buyers pay via "goods" instead of "gift". No need to manually enter addresses and names to pay for packages.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Just want to share... I'm also from CT and noticed some delays lately... Before, when i ship plants to neighbor states, it will just take 1-2 days to arrive but my last shipments took 3 days to arrive (1 just in NY)...

- Message posted using Tapatalk app via iPad -

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
I use USPS because it is connected to Paypal. If it was easier to use say UPS or similar on the site I might see about making a change.

You should be able to set up a UPS shipping account through Paypal. I can ship either USPS or UPS through Paypal using the "Print shipping label" button. I had to abandon my 20 year old shipper number and sign up for one through Paypal. With the old shipper number I wouldn't get the Paypal discount which is similar to the one you get if you pay for a daily pickup. When I started using mainly USPS I canceled my pick-up account that was costing $14.00/week and they raised my rate. They pickup at both businesses on either side of me so I just hand the driver the package. lol

How do I register for PayPal shipping with UPS?

Question :
Answer :

To register for PayPal Shipping to ship products online using UPS, follow these steps:

1. Log in to your PayPal account.
2. Click Profile near the top of the page.
3. Click My selling tools.
4. Click Update next to Shipping preferences.
5. Click Add new or existing UPS account information.
6. Enter an existing UPS account number or register for a new account.
7. Click Continue.
8. Confirm your information and then click Continue.
9. Click I agree on the UPS Shipping Agreement to complete your registration.

If you do not agree, your shipping registration will be canceled.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I had one priority package mailed from columbia to atlanta on monday arrive on thursday. It's a three hour drive. Having said that, I was trying to buy some fish today and overnight with USPS is $36. For UPS it $68.

·
Banned
5,942 Posts
+2

Definitely THE main perk here IMO. I like how Paypal makes it a one stop shop. Print packaging slips with ease that links the tracking# straight to the specific order. That's why I prefer if buyers pay via "goods" instead of "gift". No need to manually enter addresses and names to pay for packages.
Unless the buyer doesn't have an address in their paypal account. In my sales threads i started writing "Must have confirmed address in paypal" since I like this perk so much, but I still get plenty that don't. Just makes it so much easier, otherwise you can print label at usps.com. I don't think you can still do it in paypal but I could be wrong.

·
ShrimpRetirement
8,313 Posts
Unless the buyer doesn't have an address in their paypal account. In my sales threads i started writing "Must have confirmed address in paypal" since I like this perk so much, but I still get plenty that don't. Just makes it so much easier, otherwise you can print label at usps.com. I don't think you can still do it in paypal but I could be wrong.
If they don't have an address, you'd have to go through the Paypal, "Merchant Services" tab and click on "Multi-Order shipping". From there you can manually input the address the buyer wants you to use. Same as if someone sent a gift payment. It's just a freaking hassle when you have 10 "gift" orders that you have to manually input shipping data just to print out packaging slips. lol I'd rather pay the extra paypal fees to get the slip printed out with a click of a button.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts