The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgive me if this has already been discussed but I have not been able to find it on here.

I have a Rena XP3 and I would like to utilize it during my water changes. I am having a hard time finding the parts that I need. I want a diverter on the incoming side and the outgoing side. I would use the outgoing side of the cansiter for taking water out and the incoming side of the canister for putting fresh water in. So my questions are:

1. Is there a problem with doing this?

2. Does anyone know of a source for a 3-way 5/8" barbed divertor?

Or possibly some other suggestions?

Thanks for any help. I have a 110 planted aquarium and I don't have the muscle power to lift too much. A five gallon bucket of water is the MAXIMUM this woman can handle. Also, I figure the easier my water changes are the more likely I am to do them!

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
You could get a python water changer. That way it'll not only allow easy water changes through your faucet, but you'll be able to gravel vac at water changes. It relatively cheap too.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I also am considering this with my xp1... what I*'m sot sure about is whether the filter is powerful enough to lift the water from a bucket on the floor without the help of a constant supply of sihponed, falling water on the overflow side.

·
Are these real?
15,720 Posts
I would suggest to use the outflow for both freshwater and drainage. Using the inflow might airlock your canister filter. Click on the "Water change" link in my signature for some ideas on a similar project.

I went to HD and purchased 1/2" slip T's, glued them a small piece of 1/2 PVC pipe into them, then slipped the XP hose over that and secured it with some zipties. You might want to dip the XP hose into almost boiling water for a few seconds to soften it up so it slips over the pipe easier.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Forgive me if this has already been discussed but I have not been able to find it on here.

I have a Rena XP3 and I would like to utilize it during my water changes. I am having a hard time finding the parts that I need. I want a diverter on the incoming side and the outgoing side. I would use the outgoing side of the cansiter for taking water out and the incoming side of the canister for putting fresh water in. So my questions are:

Or possibly some other suggestions?

Thanks for any help. I have a 110 planted aquarium and I don't have the muscle power to lift too much. A five gallon bucket of water is the MAXIMUM this woman can handle. Also, I figure the easier my water changes are the more likely I am to do them!
I would suggest to use the outflow for both freshwater and drainage. Using the inflow might airlock your canister filter.
I agree, don't want to chance an airlock or damaging the filter. Outflow is the way to go.

Coralife makes a very nice three way barb. Coralife Turbo-Twist Hose Locking 5/8" T Connector at Big Al's Online

You might consider making an auto water change setup. Mine cost about $280 bucks and its 100% auto. http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/g...ly-cool-auto.html?highlight=Auto+water+change

I used this terrific thread by Sergio as a guide, but opted for a less expensive solenoid and used autotopoff.com float switches and solenoids for the fill cycle.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/e...hanger-setup.html?highlight=Auto+water+change

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Wasserpest has got it, except for about a $1 you can get grey barbed Tees at Lowes, HD, etc that are 3/4". Just heat the tubing with hot water and it will slip on. It will go on without heating it--its just more of a struggle.....:thumbsup:

You can Tee off of the Tee for incoming and drain water and only have 1 tee in the xP3 tubing, or you can insert both Tees into the xP3. Your Choice.

HTH

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Confused

:confused: Okay, I am confused (easily done). I can see how the outgoing side of the XP3 will allow me to drain water but how will the outgoing side allow me to return water? Thanks again for any help. I really don't want to invest the time/money right now to do the automatic system although I do admit it would be very nice. Maybe in the future.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Just send your fill water line into the return above the filter, before the spraybar or whatever outflow you have. You could turn the filter off. Or just hardwire it independent of the whole filter system - to your tap with a on off valve to control rate of flow (ball valve type). Depending upon the length of the drain, the siphon might not be strong enough and you may need to augment the drain cycle with some sort of pump - like the Eheim hobby pumps which work either submersed or out of water. In this scenario, it would probably not be submersed, but out of the tank near the filters output.

The main thing to watch out for is draining too low and causing an air cavity in the filter - you don't want to have to prime the filter every water change!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts