The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I am slowly getting ready to start my 5 gallon shrimp tank, and I am wondering about substrate. I am thinking about using turface as the substrate. I was originally thinking aquasoil, but since I am using rodi water for the tank, I figure that I will not need the buffering capacity of the aquasoil. Also I am planning on having the tank lowlight no co2, and I dont need the nutritional aspect of aquasoil either. That is why I am leaning towards using turface, along with some sand to create a similar river bank affect that I have in my 20L. My question is, is RODI, along with an inert substrate, enough to keep the pH in a range to keep and breed CRS? Also I seem to remember that some kind of additive is need for shrimp when using RODI water to add back essential nutrients. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2 Posts
So, I am slowly getting ready to start my 5 gallon shrimp tank, and I am wondering about substrate. I am thinking about using turface as the substrate. I was originally thinking aquasoil, but since I am using rodi water for the tank, I figure that I will not need the buffering capacity of the aquasoil. Also I am planning on having the tank lowlight no co2, and I dont need the nutritional aspect of aquasoil either. That is why I am leaning towards using turface, along with some sand to create a similar river bank affect that I have in my 20L. My question is, is RODI, along with an inert substrate, enough to keep the pH in a range to keep and breed CRS? Also I seem to remember that some kind of additive is need for shrimp when using RODI water to add back essential nutrients. Thanks in advance!
My question is, is RODI, along with an inert substrate, enough to keep the pH in a range to keep and breed CRS?
This depends on what your ph is after RODI. For example, my ph before RODI is 7.8, after RODI it's 7ph, not low enough for CRS so I still need an active substrate. I would recommend getting a ph test kit and test.

Also I seem to remember that some kind of additive is need for shrimp when using RODI water to add back essential nutrients.
This is correct. After your RODI water is ready you have to remineralize it with something like Salty Shrimp GH+ for cards, or MK Breed Blue Diamond(what I use), SL Aqua Blue Wizard or something similar. These will help you get the gh you need while keeping your tds in check.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your informative reply! I have a pH test kit, but I guess I was just assuming that rodi automatically equaled low pH.

So is Gh what you want to increase, but keep the KH down? Is the GH related to the calcium and other necessary elements for shrimp?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you for your informative reply! I have a pH test kit, but I guess I was just assuming that rodi automatically equaled low pH.

So is Gh what you want to increase, but keep the KH down? Is the GH related to the calcium and other necessary elements for shrimp?
No problem. It just depends on your source water, but yeah I wish mine was lower after rodi.

CRS, or cards in general need lower gh(general hardness) which is calcium and magnesium, so aiming around 4-6 gh is good for them and for me, I'm happy with a KH of 1-2 which helps avoid ph swings.

To sum it up. When you have your RODI water, it has nothing, no minerals, nothing. So we want to increase gh just enough for our shrimp to be happy. I have also found I need to increase TDS a bit with Mosura TDS up, or else my TDS after remineralizing would stay around 100-112.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, so I will test ph tomorrow, but would this gh booster work (TPT doesnt allow ebay links but I am looking at this item number: 272154548344) for my purposes?

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Good posts @Evol1knboi

Evol did a good job at covering the shrimp bases.

bacon5
Turface is inert, but it has a high CEC (cation exchange rate). I've heard high CEC substrates strip away carbonates from the water (lowering KH). And with you using RODI water, you already have no KH, so your buffering capacity is non existant. Any carbonates you add to try and have some buffering capacity would be stripped away by the high CEC substrate.

If you haven't already bought Turface (by the way, Safe T Sorb is another high CEC substrate, not sure if cheaper than Turface), I would recommend ADA Aquasoil as it would buffer the water in the acidic range keeping the pH more stable. With Turface and no KH/buffering capacity, I can see your pH dropping dangerously low, even too low for soft acidic water Caridinas. Only cautionary note on Aquasoil is I hear it can leach out ammonia in the beginning, though I have heard it's actually ammonium, but I can't confirm.

You would be better off with a low CEC inert sand substrate rather than Turface, but still a acidic buffering substrate is best for acidic Caridinas.

As mentioned, GH (calcium and magnesium) of 4-6 is required for most acidic Caridinas. Salt Shrimp GH+ is a highly recommended product for remineralizing.

If you don't have test kits, be sure to get some if you want success, especially dealing with more sensitive Caridinas.
You might want to start off with cheap low grade shrimp at first just to see if you can keep them alive.

Here are some general water parameter specs
Dwarf Shrimp Water Parameters ? DiscoBee

1 - 6 of 6 Posts