The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
e.g. 2 hours T5 + 4 hours of halide and lastly back to T5 for another 2 hours.

Any thoughts to such a lighting sequence?

thank you :)

·
Registered
198 Posts
Well first off what are you trying to do blast high light for 4 hours, looking for different color, looking for shimmer lines and do you already have these light setups or would you need to purchase them?? I dont yet know alot about lighting for plants but I do have a decent knowledge of reef tank lighting that might help if I knew what you are trying to accomplish also do you have a canopy.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well first off what are you trying to do blast high light for 4 hours, looking for different color, looking for shimmer lines and do you already have these light setups or would you need to purchase them?? I dont yet know alot about lighting for plants but I do have a decent knowledge of reef tank lighting that might help if I knew what you are trying to accomplish also do you have a canopy.
I suppose the idea is to "simulate" a normal day. not too bright in the morning. full sun at mid-day and then light becoming less intense until sunset.

·
Registered
198 Posts
OK do you already have the light setups and do you have a canopy?? I would go with 3 seperate balasts for a total of 6 tubes of T-5's with qaulity reflectors and tubes and adjust the K ratings of the tubes as in starting with a high K like 18k for the first ones then 10k for second ones and then 6k or 6.5k for the noon time blast but you would need a canopy to do this. I can only draw on my reef expierience with lighting like I said but with quality tubes and reflectors this would give high par readings with the 18k's if they are quality tubes and the par readings would keep going up with the lower K rated tubes. I know many reefers that are keeping clams in there sand beds at 18-24 inches deep with T-5 setups and if you jump into a Ice Cap ballast you can even get a little deeper without much trouble. I also feel it is cheaper and cooler temp wise to run T-5's than it is to run MH's IMO

·
Registered
198 Posts
Here are some par readings done by TheGrimReefer over on RC and like I have said I am not sure how this relates to Planted tanks compared to Reef tanks but here are some numbers

These measurements were made by The Grim Reefer using his Tek fixture and 54 Watt bulbs.

Aquascience
Special 15K 320*
DUO 15K 334*
22000K Blue 302*

AquaZ
Sun Pro 285
Ocean Pro 323
Blue Pro 266

ATI
Sun Pro 357
Aquablue 336
Blue Plus 311
Actinic 137
(Old Style)
Pro Color 215 vs 300 for a UVL Aquasun in a later test

Current Sun Paq
Daylight 10K 272
Blue 252

D&D/Giesemann
Midday 325
Aquablue 324
Actinic Plus 264
Pure Actinic 157

General Electric
GE Daylight 340
GE3000 319*

Helios
Daylight 309
Super Blue 225

KZ
Coral Light 342*
Fiji Purple 330*

UVL
Aqua sun 345
Actinic White 293
Super Actinic 210
75/25 "Aquablue" 254 vs 300 for an Aquasun in a later test.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.