The Planted Tank Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Not necessary a better way but far more efficient.
However I enjoy this aspect of the hobby - you can just pump in more gas or get a little more technical?
Siphon issues are easy to avoid with a short piece of air line fitted just above the water level.
I will try to get a few diagrams up tomorrow (almost midnight here)
I'm certainly going to explore this further. Another issue that I'd be concerned about is my siphon overflow being able to handle the added flow in the event of timing issues with the pumps being on at the same time. Perhaps a timer/switch that can only activate one circuit or the other and not both at the same time. Hmmnnn.....

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I think I will go with a dual filter setup. Sump and canister.

I will use the Rena Filstar XP3 that I have(never used). If I was to use canisters I would need two of them anyway or atleast one large one and some sort of wavemaker to help with current as the tank is so long.
The XP3 has a spray bar. This will be mounted middle to lower in the tank.
I am going to be running the canister full time with a inline heater and CO2 setup later down the road when funds become available or I might pull the trigger right away.

I have a 20 long, 29, and 38/39 laying around to build a small sump. I will see what works best. I will keep a smaller heater in this. I have an Eheim 1250. It is a bit undersized but might work out quite well in tandem with a canister filter. Max head of 6.5, 317 gph and 165 after 4 feet.

I will use 3-4 of the pre-drilled holes as drains two mains and one or both of the smaller holes for backup. (old reef habit of worrying about a runaway turbo snail plugging a drain!!). I will either return over the back of the tank with a typical "Directional U tube" or as a normal return via the bulkhead.

Then build a sump, keeping it simple and with bio material only. I might consider having this run opposite of the CO2. Day -canister only with CO2 and inline heater, lights on. Night- CO2 off , lights off, sump running along with canister.

• Rena XP3 sump supplying CO2 via timer and 300 watt inline heater. With a Koralia or two to help with current.
  • 20-38 gallon sump running fulltime or night only with a smaller heater. Bio material only and maybe a small growout area for plant frags.
Sound like I am out of mind or am I sane?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Well you are best to follow my diagram & use two dedicated sump pumps - one to supply just a tricky through the display durring gas on & the second to push about 5 x tank volume every hour durring gas off. you can run the small pump 24. 7.
What lighting do you intend to use?

·
Registered
767 Posts
A basic sketch might explain the simplicity of my system...
Here is a pic of my set up. My main concern which I'll have to work out is my siphon overflow-I don't have a stand pipe as it appears you do.If both pumps ran (main filter pump in sump & CO2 pump) at the same time it might not handle the flow-it's only 1 u-tube.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Well you are best to follow my diagram & use two dedicated sump pumps - one to supply just a tricky through the display durring gas on & the second to push about 5 x tank volume every hour durring gas off. you can run the small pump 24. 7.
What lighting do you intend to use?

I am looking at using using 4 36'' t-5s so 4x39watt. I have the ability to add if I go with a full blown CO2 aquarium.

This is the area I am most torn. I love to travel outdoors and my family goes on "camping trips" over extended weekends along with a couple 5-10 day trips. I also have other hobbies along with children so time is an issue some weeks. Not sure if a hightech tank would to much for me. Need something that can be on autopilot at times.

In regards to your system it is very cool and is a similiar fit. I am just trying to work with what I have. I could sell or return(believe I can still) the XP3 and use two pumps in the sump. Use the Eheim for a slow CO2 type flow to one return and at night kick on lets say a Mag 7 thru the other return, while both in the same sump??

·
Registered
187 Posts
Mark, I would have to say that is not a good system for a planted tank!
You need a more direct supply for your gas, run a new Co2 circuit though a external filter.
Odie that sounds great, when do you intend starting the new tank?
Have you thought about substrate & fertilization?

·
Registered
767 Posts
You need a more direct supply for your gas, run a new Co2 circuit though a external filter.
Well, it's been working well for more than a few years. I have no trouble getting a nice lime green from my drop checker wherever I place it in the tank. The sump is covered as is the siphon overflow so I'm not loosing an excessive amount to gas off. I have good in tank circulation as well. The only reason I would consider your system would be to reduce CO2 use.

·
Registered
187 Posts
In that case your only real gas loss would be in the trickle compartment as you dont have an overflow feed.
A recirculating loop within the display would save some gas but if your system works it might not be worth the effort to change.
I enjoy high tech tanks but I did point out this is not necessarily the only way to achieve results.
How much gas do you use?

·
Registered
767 Posts
In that case your only real gas loss would be in the trickle compartment as you dont have an overflow feed.
A recirculating loop within the display would save some gas but if your system works it might not be worth the effort to change.
I enjoy high tech tanks but I did point out this is not necessarily the only way to achieve results.
How much gas do you use?
The trickle compartment is sealed with duct tape and the homemade siphon overflow (similar to what comes with reef trickle filters) is sealed also with a cover. I'm exchanging a 20lb tank tomorrow-I'll ask when I was in last to get one-I'm thinking it was maybe 3-4 months ago but I'm not sure without digging out the receipt.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·

I got a good deal on Flourite, black. Ironically my daughter wants to convert a 20 high into planted tank. So a bit of a father n daughter adventure. So I got 165lbs of black Flourite.

Ferts I am not sure.....I am torn between a low tech or high tech. I have done some reading about lowtech that doses weekly and no water changes and slow growth.. But I don't want to watch plants to not grow.... ok slowly. But on the other hand I don't want a behemoth of a tank with crazy growth that takes up all my free time.

I am thinking about using 156 watts of T-5 HO with the ability to add later if I go high tech.

Either way I will use dry ferts once I read up on that and figure it all out.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have never had the patience for the low tech approach however I do turn down everything after the first 6-8 months of a new set up.
I normally get fed up of any scape after a year so it is just a big circle really!
Big water changes can be a real pain with big tanks but you appear resourceful enough to think of ways to help make it less of a chore......
Regards ferts - I find it can be a great help to add "easy-life EASYCARBO" at the start of a new set up as an addition to dry ferts.
this product really seems to help with algae issues & plant growth but it is expensive to use permanently!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
First off I want to send a big thank you to all that have helped me so far especially Foxfish who has shared many details about his setup and advice!!

Yeah I think I will probably go with a hightech setup as I am not patient. As far as water changes a sump will help with that greatly. Will probably have an attachment after the return pump to help facilitate with that.

EASYCARBO sounds alot like Seachem Flourish Excel
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=4656

21 - 40 of 41 Posts