The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mom has stones she got from a river in our state quite a few years ago. They are black and white, but they give off a certain shine like metal does, and they kind of look like they may have metals embedded into them (naturally occurring) Do you think if there is metal in them they would be okay to use? I think they would really pop in the aquarium, but I don't want them to hurt the fish.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After doing a lot of research, I think they are a type of quartz, which would also explain the shine they have. I will post a picture of them tomorrow, and I will be doing the vinegar test on them today just to see if I get a reaction.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
API kits

API has copper kits if you wan't to take it to that level. From general chemistry black rock is typical cuprous oxide (CuO), Manganese oxide, or iron oxide.

Best rule of thumb is to avoid colored pebbles (red, blue, yellow, green, brown,black, etc) as metal will leach in time with erosion of silica or epoxy in the case of Walmart decor rocks..

The danger with white rocks might be fluorites.

When I get time I'll post some element chemistry results I've gotten on rocks with pictures to boot.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
It isn't copper or iron. Copper shows up as a green tinge in rocks, sometimes brown. Iron is rust colored. The sheen sounds like quartz or granite. Nothing to worry about.

95% of rocks have no issue with them.... People are overly cautious.

Do you have 2 threads on this?

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I do have 2 threads, 1 in the Oregon thread seeing if anyone had any idea what I was talking about. The rocks are defeinetely quartz and are white/black in color marbeling throughout. I did the acid test and they had no reaction.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I agree with other posters. Unless you're dealing with a reef tank, or with extremely sensitive fish, most rocks will be fine. Also, many rocks contain quartz and/or mica, which can give a shiny metallic sparkle. It's definitely a stretch, but any geology professor or some students may be able to shine some light on your rocks in question, if you have any access to people in those circles.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.