The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, as subj. says

i seem to remember having read, that spaghnum wasn't good for shrimps..

is this true? It'd make my day a lot easier, if spaghnum didnt affect shrimp.

any ideas`? thoughts? on this...

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
you sure spaghnum moss lowers pH?

at least the spaghnum I have doesn't appear to have any tanics at all in it. are you sure you aren't getting it confused with Peat Moss?

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Spar said:
you sure spaghnum moss lowers pH?

at least the spaghnum I have doesn't appear to have any tanics at all in it. are you sure you aren't getting it confused with Peat Moss?

hmm.. yes you might be right. we just call it spaghnum. it's probably peat moss...

bought @ garden center anyway...

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
you are actually right. went and checked my bag of Peat Moss. It is labeled as "Spaghnum Peat Moss".

I also use straight Spaghnum Moss for my frog tanks, which is much thicker and stringy, without all the tanic acids in it. I think it is labeled as "orchid spaghnum moss".

i know a guy that has lots of shrimp tanks. I will send him an email to see his experience with it.

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Spar said:
you are actually right. went and checked my bag of Peat Moss. It is labeled as "Spaghnum Peat Moss".

I also use straight Spaghnum Moss for my frog tanks, which is much thicker and stringy, without all the tanic acids in it. I think it is labeled as "orchid spaghnum moss".

i know a guy that has lots of shrimp tanks. I will send him an email to see his experience with it.

excellent. Looking forward to hearing his input.
I've heard from someone who use spaghnum, but would like to hear more, from other people as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts