The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone...
I wanted to do a follow up thread on the information I talke about in usgetata's thread
"Is it a golden bee?"

In that thread I talked about the use of golden bee to better characteristics of certain other shrimp. In this thread specifically I am referring to the use of skeleton's (golden bee) to increase the blue coverage on Blue Bolts. Apparently from the information I have gathered from friends in the know, the gene for white and blue somehow "ride on the same location" ie. if the golden bee has a solid white it will prevent the blue from showing since both colors use the same location to appear. This why you often see BB's with intense blue n their heads and not on the body. So, when you use a skeleton, a few of the offspring that lean towards the skeleton side of the genetics BUT have Taiwan bee genes will show MUCH more blue. This often takes a few generations to work out and stabilize, but occasionally it all comes together. The picture below are of a mother, the skeleton and her adult daughter...a gorgeous blue bolt who's color I enriched using the technique described above. Now, please understand that unless you get very lucky you are only going to get an occasional top notched BB, but it is sure nice when you do. Good luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
782 Posts
That is a beautiful shrimp!
And while you are breeding/experimenting with the two colors, they look very nice in the tank together.

-Stef*

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
great shrimp and thanks for sharing the info. things like this little bit of info is what we need to see more of because its lacking here in the us.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Good time to have ugly golden bees. :hihi: I notice a lot of little skeletons and bb running about. Now all I need to do is make a case for another tank to my husband. I really appreciate this info again, I was right to pick up golden bees to have a more interesting tank.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just to clear a few things up after I re-read my thread...
The skeleton mother in the first pic is a mischling skeleton. In order to produce her I had to cross a non-mischling skeleton with a BB or shadow KK.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Then my seller did not sell me what they said, which I suspected. That would be strange since they are a very well known store and person on this forum. I just bought 13 golden bee shrimp and these popped out, it's my first time keeping shrimp aside from neos.

·
The Security Dude
4,336 Posts
If you got a BB from a bunch of snow whites/golden bees you got, they were mischlings snow hite/golden bees. Which is not bad, more like a bonus. Because you will get snow whites out of them, mischlings as well, and if mischling snow white breed with mischling snow white the chance of TB. So a good bounus.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Yeah that's how it seems. Makes it a bit more difficult for me to accurately identify what I had, it is actually a bit hard to find much info on these guys. Thank you for making it a bit clearer to me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts