The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has any one tried using rooting compound or rooting/cloning gel to jump start growth in emersed plants? (specially cuttings.) Or maybe even for rooted plants? Or maybe even for submersed plants?

I would like to see if anyone has had any experience before i start experimenting on my own.

·
Premium Member
2,556 Posts
It should work for emersed...I don't see why not. Although I've only seen it done on woody cuttings I assume it would be fine. Let us know! I'm interested. I think the procedure would be the same except without stripping the bark. I don't think it's a good idea for submersed.

·
Premium Member
2,556 Posts
It works for emergent crypts if you have a good chunk of rhizome and sterile equipment.
We're thinking about the same thing right? Cloning =/= micropropagation which is the same as plant tissue culture (PTC). Cloning is taking a cutting, stripping the bark, dipping it in rooting powder then planting the planting into something like peat moss and putting it in a hot box for growing. It doesn't take anything more than a pair of scissors and some dirt. By no means is it sterile. PTC, a much more complicated process takes lots of careful sterilization and is a long and painful (albeit potentially rewarding) process. PTC also takes just the tiniest amount of living material. Most cultures are done using tiny sections of tissue a mm thick. Or meristematic tissue from buds.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't plan on doing micropropagation like Ghanzafar Ghori or Aquaflora nurseries does. Perhaps just some experiments using rooting/cloning compound in a humidity dome or other container. Something simple for now I guess.

Perhaps i could do some assays on:
Any changes in viability/growth rate in emersed cut stems (w/ compound and without) Maybe specifically looking at any change in successful transition from submersed to emersed.
Any changes in the above for a submersed plant.
Effects on non stem plants/non vascular plants/ Ferns

I haven't seen much info at all with using auxins/hormones for aquatic plants, so maybe I'll try to do some pseudoresearch/science.

I guess I'll have to limit the variability between the controls and tests to get any semi legitimate answers. Perhaps I can grow them in separate containers like AZfishkid does. That should at least keep the rooting compuond from contaminating the control plants. Everything else I'll try to keep the same. Light/ferts/substrate/species/health of starter plants. Man, this sounds alot more complex than I want it to be. I'll just start with one control and one experiment set for now. I'll post pics and update once I get all my stuff in order.

·
Premium Member
2,556 Posts
I don't plan on doing micropropagation like Ghanzafar Ghori or Aquaflora nurseries does. Perhaps just some experiments using rooting/cloning compound in a humidity dome or other container. Something simple for now I guess.

Perhaps i could do some assays on:
Any changes in viability/growth rate in emersed cut stems (w/ compound and without) Maybe specifically looking at any change in successful transition from submersed to emersed.
Any changes in the above for a submersed plant.
Effects on non stem plants/non vascular plants/ Ferns

I haven't seen much info at all with using auxins/hormones for aquatic plants, so maybe I'll try to do some pseudoresearch/science.

I guess I'll have to limit the variability between the controls and tests to get any semi legitimate answers. Perhaps I can grow them in separate containers like AZfishkid does. That should at least keep the rooting compuond from contaminating the control plants. Everything else I'll try to keep the same. Light/ferts/substrate/species/health of starter plants. Man, this sounds alot more complex than I want it to be. I'll just start with one control and one experiment set for now. I'll post pics and update once I get all my stuff in order.
Hormones do work on aquatic plants...I'm setting up a PTC project right now and I have a journal on this site...I think it'll be fine. Just don't try it on submersed plants. I remember reading that water + light degrades plant hormones very quickly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts