The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a fluval flora tank set up using the fluval shrimp stratum. It buffers my water to 6.4 to 6.5. I purchase RO water and this water is 7.0. What is the best way to lower the RO water pH prior to using it in my tank? I would think the pH swing would cause issues with my shrimp(ss crsxsnow white)(F1)'s. I really do not want to discolor my water..... But will if I have to. What do you guys do for topoffs and water changes?

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Are you getting a pH of 6.4-6.5 now with plain tap water?

If you're using RO water, you don't need to lower the pH before using it. The substrate will gradually do that over time. I use RO water during water changes and top-offs and the Aquasoil lowers the pH of the tank water to a constant 6.5.

You don't really need the pH any lower than 6.4 for crystal shrimps.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Pure RO water can be hard to get a pH reading on sometimes unless you treat it first because there is nothing to buffer the pH solution. At least that I think what I read, don't quote me on that, let the RO water experts chime in. lol.

Also, where are you getting your RO water. My DIY fillup RO water dispenser place has two RO water options, Ultra-Pure and Ultra-Pure PLUS and the plus they run through a coral bed to raise the pH and then they add minerals back, so make sure its just pure RO and not a plus.

·
Registered
256 Posts
i use fluval shrimp stratum in 6 shrimp tanks. I also use ro/di water via a filter guys setup. I don't see any reason at all to worry about the pH "swing." I top off each tank with less than a cup every few days. That is insignificant.

When I do water changes, I use fluval mineral supplement to reconstitute the water with calcium and increase the gH. If you do 10% water changes...you shouldn't notice any change in pH at all (ie. less than .1 change). Many people, including myself, do water changes once every month (some 2 weeks). I don't see pH swings with ro water an issue. The biggest issue is making sure you reconstitute your water so you don't end up in a situation where you have a pH crash or a lack of minerals for the shrimps.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The water from my tap is 8+, my test scale doesn't read any higher. The fluval shrimp stratum buffers it down to 6.4 ish. I am asking about the pH swing as I had the tank up and running for almost 6 weeks with no shrimp in it. Just before the shrimp were added I purchased RO water to top off what had evaporated. I then tested the water and it was 7 on the pH scale! So the RO water I am using obviously has a pH of at least 7. I thought that RO water was suppose to have a low pH, so I didn't have the fluctuation?
I just retested the pH and it is still at 7! Almost a week and a half has gone by! So now what? Could the effects of the fluval stratum be worn off after only 2 months? The tank contains plants, 2 pieces of driftwood and shrimp....no rocks to raise the pH. I thought that I have read that using chemicals to lower my pH was bad?

I do have 1 fresh mulberry leaf in the tank....that won't affect anything will it?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.