The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm redoing my 40 tall into a species tank for a bunch of Exodon paradoxus.

I would like to use driftwood, but nothing is tall enough/cheap enough. So I was wondering, I live next to a forest. I know I can find what I want on the ground out there, but I was wondering if it would be safe to use these in a fishtank? I figure it will be, but what do I have to do to it to make it safe and what not? I know there's no pesticides, but idk what else I should do.

Any input is great! Thanks!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Find wood that are "hard" not soft or ratting. boil them for bout 2-4 hrs in Water + 1 table spool on aquarium salt/gallon (dont have to add salt, but it'll help) to kill the parasite and bacterias. then, I personally boiled them again w/ just regular water for another hour or two... after, let them soak in a drum or bucket large enough for few days to few weeks till the tannins is mostly/completely gone (no more brown water), then place it in your tank. if it still floats, then use rock to hold'em down or silicone to a piece of slate. g/luck man... :proud:

warning: all woods are not safe for your fish. they release toxins in your tank long after being treated/water logged. Find out what type of trees u've got around your house, then there's a list of safe wood to use in this forum or just google it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.