The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep my RO changing water in 5 gallon jugs.

I guess these containers must be low in oxygen content since they are sealed and have almost no surface area.

I seems to me, however, that the simple act of pouring the water into the aquarium would instantly oxygenate it?

I've never had a problem using stored water but I am always told it needs to be oxygenated.

·
Banned
628 Posts
I don't think it will be a problem. I think you're right. Just pouring it in oxygenates it. I put in one drop of hydrogen peroxide per half gallon of water to soak my biomedia during water changes because I have to take it out of the filter. I don't think it's really doing anything to help the bacteria. It's just sort of something I'm trying because my filter isn't working.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
So I think the bit about oxygenating comes from people using tap water. Sometimes it comes out cold and needs to be degassed via aeration.

I also don't think it's low oxygen water coming out, and if so, it most likely gets fairly oxygenated during the process of adding it to the tank.

Like, if you were using really hot water (like boiling), then yeah I might be worried about low oxygen. But at that point, I'd be more worried about cooking the fish.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.