The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to make some clay root tabs after the holidays and was thinking about making some with kelp meal and see how they work. I have tried to search for anyone that has used kelp meal either as a soil amendment in mts or made root tabs with it, but there wasn't a whole lot of info out there. Kelp meal has around 60 minerals, 21 amino acids and 12 vitamins. Kelp also provides sources of nitrogen and potassium, micro-nutrients, carbohydrates and essential plant hormones.

Livestock farmers and pet owners use it to supplement animal feed. I actually found that according to Alibaba.com, a product market, adding a small percentage to food promotes growth and saves protein. Use 1 percent to 3 percent for shrimp, freshwater fish, crab, eels and soft-shelled turtles. Add 1 percent to 6 percent to dog and cat foods.

What would ones concern be using a product like this as a soil amendment in mts or making root tabs?

I'm curious to anyones thoughts on this or anyone that has used this?

·
Registered
625 Posts
i wouldnt have the slightest clue how it would turn out, but im interested in your results if you try it.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
As a direct soil additive, I would think it might release into the water column very fast, giving you a blast of nutrients. In clay balls It should work.

Might also be a good water column fert idea. I occasionally use Dr. Earth Seaweed Concentrate. It's a terrestrial plant fert which I believe is the same Kelp meal?

Do consider a thread on this as it will be a good contribution to the hobby. I've also found it hard to find info on organic methods for our tanks for my own experiments in dirt.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts