The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was wondering if it would help to replace my existing method of Co2 distribution. At present, I have about 2 bubbles per second of pressurised Co2 being diffused inside a bottomless plastic bottle with a powerhead attached.
For filtration, a Tetratec EX1200 with an extended spray bar. I have 4 sections of this pointing down into the tank to circulate below and 3 sections above providing gentle surface agitation. Even with this, I feel I am not getting the best out of my Co2.
I was thinking of removing the big ugly powerhead / bottle combo and getting one of those neat glass diffusers but noticed on a youtube video, the fine Co2 bubbles instantly escape to the surface. Would using a Koralia aimed over the released bubbles spread the Co2 more evenly across the tank? Although the Koralia models seem great for water movement, lots of people have said they wished they'd bought a much stronger one. I've already been advised to go for the most powerful I can afford (which is the Koralia 4) but don't want something that blows everything all over the tank.
I have a 5 foot, 55 gal freshwater planted tank mostly filled with shoals of small Tetras. ps. Daft question here, can large amounts of algae deplete the Co2 supply in the water?

·
Registered
251 Posts
i use a k1 right above my diffuser that has a rate of about 1.5bps. Once i added the koralia i noticed plants on the opposite side of my tank would pearl. It's only a 20h though...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks RianS, I think I'll go for the k2 and hope for the best. I think this in conjunction with my spray bar might do the job. None of my fish are very big (Tetras) and I don't think they would appreciate being pushed around the tank all day! The K3 and K4 models seem too powerful.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The K2 sounds the right one for me then. From what I gather, it's not that powerful for small fish but effective enough to move the water.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Nice tank you've got there.

This morning I installed a Hydor K3 model in my tank. I ordered the K2 model but they were out of stock and I was sent an upgrade (at no extra charge which was nice). At first I hated it, it was way too powerful. All the plants were blowing horizontally and the fish were diving for cover! I enventually had to put a piece of mesh over the out-flow attachment and positioned it toward the back of the tank which has helped take the edge off it slightly. As a bonus though, my drop checker has remained stable all day and for the 1st time, I noticed a group of Rotala Macandra at the opposite end of the tank pearling and looking quite rosy. So all in all, I'm pleased with it but after seeing it in action, I still think the K2 would have been sufficient for 55 gals.

·
Registered
286 Posts
These pumps rock. I have one in my tank and plan to add a few more. I use the smaller ones so they aren't too powerful. I like them in the bottom corners to keep flow along the bottom of the tank.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I'm not sure who thought they weren't powerful. IMO they are very powerful. The output is a wider range so that it's more gentle than it would be if it were a little hole. I have the #3 and just ordered a #2 because I wanted less flow! You will get plant movement but you want the water moving around so that's inevitable. I think you'll be very happy with it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I just introduced CO2 to my tank and was wondering how it is suppose to look when coming out of the tube and into the water? Would it be fine bubble particles? I also place my k1 right over my diffuser.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts