The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if I"m simply too tired to figure this out, or if I"m completely brain dead, but I am having problems wrapping my head around this.

I am having a horrible algae outbreak (BBA and Nasty Staghorn, and a touch of BGA). I let my nutrient balance get WAY outta whack and algae took over in the space of a week. I have upped my nitrates and cranked the CO2 up, but I am having minimal affect on the staghorn.

I have been reading about treating algae with Hydrogen Peroxide, but seem to be getting mixed reviews on the amount of a standard 3% solution (standard pharmacy grade stuff) to use per gallon.

The tank in question is a 45 gallon, but with only about 35 gallons of water (the rest being used up by rockwork and substrate).

I understand that to be most effective, it should be applied by syringe directly to the affected area, but I don't know how much is "safe" to add to the tank.

Can anyone help me out on this? I'm at my wits end.. and it would be a royal pain to tear out all my plants, wood and tear down the slate wall to dip everything in a bleach solution.

Ideally I would like to spot dose the affected areas and add a few SAE's later to help maintain the tank, along with a balanced nutrient reginment and high CO2. I jsut need something to knock back whats there, pruning is having problems keeping up with the stuff

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Physically remove the algae...

I've read about H2O2 as well. I've used as a dip to sterilize my plants of BGA.. and other nasties. It seems to work. If the solution is too strong or you dip it too long, the plant might melt though.

I've never used it as a spot treatment in the tank itself.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
I've dosed 2mL/gallon without any problems before....do you have inverts in the tank?

Turn off your filter. Load up the syringe with 50-60mL (just to be safe) and then spot treat the affected areas. Do a 30% WC 30-40 minutes after letting it sit, then turn your filter back on.

·
Premium Member
3,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have several species of shrimp in this tank, many varieties of snails, otto's, cardinal tetras and Platties.

I have read conflicting reports, some saying do water changes, some saying do not.. some saying that re-treating after an hour is possible... some people even talk about dosing the entire tank.

Will the treatment affect the inverts adversly?

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
The first time I treated my tank, I didn't do a WC. A day later, ALL of my anacharis melted. I wouldn't dose more than 2mL/gallon in the beginning.

My shrimp didn't seem so happy when I spot-treated areas lower to the substrate where they were hanging out. They all made it though.

·
Algae Eater
3,182 Posts
Here is a good link
Eliminating Algae with H2O2

I have used it successfully with 1ml per gallon, turn off all filter and anything that will cause the water to move. Squirt the affected areas and then let sit for about 20 minutes, 50% water change I didnt have shrimp at the time so I cant help there. I did this for maybe 2-3 weeks weekly and it was gone.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Gareth, not sure on the Staghorn, but the old Excel direct squirt method will work perfectly on any BBA.

Reactions: DigityDog70

·
Are these real?
15,740 Posts
Also, if you have BGA, consider giving them a nice Antibiotics treatise. It will cost a few bucks for a 45gal tank, but it might give your plants the needed boost to get over the algae competition.

My newly redone 100gal is going through a similar algae, and I just got rid of the cyanos, and it's amazing how plants started to grow with record speed after a few weeks of stagnation.

·
Premium Member
3,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Also, if you have BGA, consider giving them a nice Antibiotics treatise. It will cost a few bucks for a 45gal tank, but it might give your plants the needed boost to get over the algae competition.

My newly redone 100gal is going through a similar algae, and I just got rid of the cyanos, and it's amazing how plants started to grow with record speed after a few weeks of stagnation.
I"m not too worried about the BGA, its barely noticable and is only really growing on the surface where the moss is coming out of the water. I'll nuke it pretty easily.

Its the staghorn thats worrying me.. its exploding in the right side of the tank.

·
Collectoritis Patient
2,322 Posts
This isn't something I recommend doing for too long of a period of time. The H2O2 does work great for spot treatments, but regular use could also harm the plants tissues and fauna.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Ok so when using excel to treat the algae... its best to use 2-3 times to recomended dose for the total water volume of the tank, and spot treat? I've never done this so I"m just trying to get all the info.
Gareth, there is a lot of info on the Excel sticky toward the middle back of the thread. But in a nutshell, kill the filter for a few minutes and leave off for five to ten minutes to stop current in the tank while performing the chem warfare. Use straight Excel not diluted... Then with a dosing syringe spray a few mils per affected area directly on the BBA. You can get three or four squirts out of a 12 ml dosing syringe. The BBA will turn red then white within 12-24 hours and its dead. And the other plants will benefit from the Excel too. On a 40 gallon I wouldn't put over 20 mls at a time. Give it a day or so before treating any BBA you missed. Works like a charm.

·
Premium Member
3,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok... well I'm experimenting.

I have spot treated certain parts of the tank with Excel, and others with H202. H202 certainly had a more vigorous result, but we'll see over the next couple of days. I'm curious to see which method will be more effective.

If the H202 proves to be as good as the Excel treatment I will probably stick with that route, as it's considerably cheaper.

I'll post reports of hte progess in a couple of days.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.