The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, can I use gel super glue to attach small pieces of driftwood to each other? I'm talking about diameters less than 4". I've read that folks are using super glue, but perhaps only to attach plants to wood & rocks. (and does that really work?)
Would stainless screws be better?
Thanks!

·
Registered
736 Posts
I've never used super glue in a tank so I'm not sure if it leaches any chemicals into the water. I have used waterweld with success. I know of a lot of reefers who use it also to attach rocks together. It's also safe for potable water, so it's safe for aquariums. For attaching plants to wood or rocks just use a rubberband or some fishing wire. Then cut it off when the roots are established.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
superglue is safe but i don't know that it would work for this purpose. Since superglue doesn't "fill" at all, it will have a small surface area.

I just use ordinary screws in all of my tanks.... no problems ever....

·
Registered
993 Posts
If I'm right, the cyanoacrylate (?) in superglue gel is aquarium safe.

I'm currently using it in my tank right now, but I didn't do one of the driftwoods correctly so I managed to snap it off. Now I took that piece out of the tank to dry so I can glue it again to something to help weight it down.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If I'm right, the cyanoacrylate (?) in superglue gel is aquarium safe.

I'm currently using it in my tank right now, but I didn't do one of the driftwoods correctly so I managed to snap it off. Now I took that piece out of the tank to dry so I can glue it again to something to help weight it down.
So, are you saying it worked to glue wood to wood, and it held? Or did you glue wood to slate/stone?

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
oh well, so much for taking the easy way out - lol. Guess I'll be buying hardware tomorrow!

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
ever heard of gorilla glue? get the epoxy and your set your welcome :) post a pic of your wood when your done as id like to see it, i got some ideas for a elaborate tree if i can get time and the right branches to make it maybe one day :/

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
we sell Gorilla Glue where I work - if we don't have the epoxy type, there's a Lowes right next door ; )
Now that you mention it, DIYers on the cichlid sites use Gorilla Glue...here's fingers crossed that it bonds wood to wood!
thanks!

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
just make sure its dry, if you really want it to set good you could drill a hole and use the other branch as a peg incert an glue has much more surface area to hold (kinda like a biscuit joint) id use a bit more and file down to blend into each piece if its showing.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Reefers sleep with the stuff, they glue frags to plugs..it's completely safe.
I use it all the time in my reef tank. as tight as paramiters have to be there, it will be fine in a FW tank for sure....

just make sure its dry, if you really want it to set good you could drill a hole and use the other branch as a peg incert an glue has much more surface area to hold (kinda like a biscuit joint) id use a bit more and file down to blend into each piece if its showing.
^^^+1000.

gorilla glue is hard to find but super-gel will work perfectly applied like this and not show all the ugly epoxy. the epoxy holds way better, for longer terms(like I use for rock scaping) but gel will be great for wood and it sets much faster.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
FWIW, I tried the gel wood on wood and it did hold until I bumped it and the hold broke. It seems to have been to brittle to handle the wood (each piece was about 1/2 inch) Ended up using zip ties. I have used the get to hold down fissiden and java ferns to the wood and it worked great. Use a small amount as it turns white - which does go away in about 2 weeks. Good luck!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.